OMRON Forums

IDE changes attributes of project files

mjm

Why does the September release IDE remove the read-only attribute from files in the solution/project?

It may be convenient for the IDE, but these are my files, and I should be able to decide whether or not they are writable.

Mick

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick,

The reason for changing the attributes of the files and folders in the IDE is that, some of the properties of the project and some of the files need to be modified for the backward compatibility reasons and if the files and the folders are read only, I won't be able to do this. If this is a major issue for you, I can certainly take a look at my code and see if it is possible to minimize the changes to the files and folders attribute.

Dro Ghazarian

Why does the September release IDE remove the read-only attribute from files in the solution/project?

It may be convenient for the IDE, but these are my files, and I should be able to decide whether or not they are writable.

Mick

Yes, I consider this a major issue. We use Visual Sourcesafe for version control, and it relies on the read-only attribute.

Mick

Mick,

The reason for changing the attributes of the files and folders in the IDE is that, some of the properties of the project and some of the files need to be modified for the backward compatibility reasons and if the files and the folders are read only, I won't be able to do this. If this is a major issue for you, I can certainly take a look at my code and see if it is possible to minimize the changes to the files and folders attribute.

Dro Ghazarian

Mick

Yes, I consider this a major issue. We use Visual Sourcesafe for version control, and it relies on the read-only attribute.

This is just my opinion but I agree. The IDE is doing alot of funky stuff behind the scenes (autocomplete and syntax checking of C programs messes up my machine still), please leave our files alone.

I would suggest a prompt saying that the project folder needs read/write permissions, but the source files should be under our control and obey the readonly attributes, especially since many VC systems use readonly as the check out mechanism.

KEJR

As well as changing the read-only attribute I am finding the IDE fires a save (or something) on all open .pmh files (even if unmodified). They then appear as modified in my source control program. This can easily be updated based on contents, but the file modified date/time has been changed unnecessarily and in my opinion this is bad. If I start looking for files changed on certain dates I will be lost.

Daves,

We do save all the files, before downloading or compiling. Since our project system and the IDE is based on the visual studio, I am following the visual studio rule, in which all the files get saved before getting compiled or downloaded. We can take a look at the possibility of only saving the files that have been modified to take care of your issue. I will add your post to our list of enhancements.

Dro Ghazarian

Thanks Dro.

If it useful I think I have only seen the IDE touch open and unmodified .pmh files unnecessarily. It doesn't seem to touch .c .h .plc .pmc files which are unmodified, and it doesn't touch .pmh files which are not open in the editor.

Dave

Daves,

We do save all the files, before downloading or compiling. Since our project system and the IDE is based on the visual studio, I am following the visual studio rule, in which all the files get saved before getting compiled or downloaded. We can take a look at the possibility of only saving the files that have been modified to take care of your issue. I will add your post to our list of enhancements.

Dro Ghazarian

Surely only unsaved files need to be saved before a compile/download. I've used Visual Studio for many years, and it's never complained about read-only files when compiling.

Mick