OMRON Forums

Upgrade of Debian

KEJR

What is Delta Tau's position on upgrading to the current stable version of debian? In the last couple months Debian put Lenny into the "OldStable" category. Other than the kernel are we free to experiment with an upgrade via debian APT, or is this going to break all of the PPMAC related setup?

I have no pressing need at the moment, just a curiosity.

Thanks,

KEJR

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By all means feel free to try it (after backing up your disk of course). A new version of debian was released at the end of February or the beginning of March. We use just the debian filesystem with a foreign kernel. The upgrade should keep our system intact. Just remember you must copy /.readonly/etc-tmps-mirror to /.readonly/etc and /.readonly/var-tmps-mirror to /.readonly/var after the upgrade.

What is Delta Tau's position on upgrading to the current stable version of debian? In the last couple months Debian put Lenny into the "OldStable" category. Other than the kernel are we free to experiment with an upgrade via debian APT, or is this going to break all of the PPMAC related setup?

I have no pressing need at the moment, just a curiosity.

Thanks,

KEJR

Hi Henry,

We use just the debian filesystem with a foreign kernel. The upgrade should keep our system intact.

There is also the delta tau init.d script, extra xenomai/DT libs and such, but I would think Debian would leave these alone in the upgrade. Anyhow I'll give it a shot at some point once the smoke clears on some of my current projects.

Part of the reason for wanting to do this is that I've gotten an email from one of the Xorg input developers that the lilliput 10" USB monitor/touchscreen quirks should work with the newer evdev Xorg driver (i.e. not confused with the evdev kernel driver). I have to double check but I think the evdev driver in squeeze is fairly up to date. It would be good to keep fairly up to date on the distro as well.

For what it is worth I have the Elo touchscreen on our first PPMAC machine right now powering up and logging in and firing up our programs without human intervention. The operator just has to hit some buttons from the touchscreen and it is off and running. They are used to this on our machines that have PLCs and touch HMIs and I didn't want to throw a mouse and keyboard at them on this type of small machine where extensive data entry is not needed (and we don't have space for it).

Thanks again,

KEJR

• 7 months later...

KEJR,

Did you ever get around to upgrading to Squeeze? Any gotchas?

Hello Shansen,

Unfortunately I did not get the time to try this. We ended up concentrating our efforts to do all HMI/database related stuff on a separate panel PC running embedded windows communicating through telnet to GPASCII. So having the latest touchscreen and GUI software kind of just went out the window on my priority list. Is there a certain package you need, or are you just trying to keep up to date?

KEJR

Just trying to keep up to date. I will probably try this upgrade in the next month or so, it should be fairly straightforward but I just wanted a quick sanity check to make sure I'm not doing something I'm not supposed to. Per Henry's last comment, I think everything should work fairly smoothly.

-Steve