OMRON Forums

lost configured ip adress

MartinOphey

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DavisG

If i lost the configured ip adress how i can reset it over rs232, which tool is needed?

You can see the currently set IP address by plugging in your serial cable, running hyperterminal (115 kbaud, 8,n,1,no handshake), and powering the ppmac up. At startup it spits a bunch of data out the serial port - this includes the currently set IP addresses for both ports.

In the next release for the firmware you will be able to set the IP address through a USB thumb drive

Martin,

The correct pin out for serial communiaction is:

DB9 to 10 pin Header

DB 9    Header  Function Description
------- ------- -------- -------------------------------- 
1       1       I        Data Carrier Detect (DCD) (phase)
2       3       I        Receive Data (RXD)
3       5       O        Transmit Data (TXD)
4       7       O        Data Set Ready (DSR)
5       9       GND      Signal Ground
6       2       I        Data terminal ready (DTR)
7       4       O        Clear to Send (CTS)
8       6       I        Request to Send (RTS)
9       8       I        Ring indicator (Servo)
N/A     10	O        --

or shown on schematic below:

MWSnap041111080751.jpg.57d7650fea43c81502bb9556c9df4d7e.jpg

If i lost the configured ip adress how i can reset it over rs232, which tool is needed?

Instead of using RS232 it is probable easier to use the PowerPMAC as a memory stick. Using a SHORT mini USB cable plug the PowerPMAC flash card into the PC. Navigate using Windows Explore to the removable media in ie. the F:\etc\network folder and examine the interfaces file. If you choose to edit the file from Windows you must use an editor that will work with UNIX files (that means something other than notepad). Also the cable must be very short or the the memory card will not powerup. Sometimes with longer cables you must unplug the cable from the PC and plug it in very quickly before the memory card will power on.

IPCheck.thumb.jpg.d8f70088e99e29d60c169345cd72233e.jpg

USB2PCA.thumb.jpg.f687cebafbb6b761bc329d8ed581db7e.jpg

Guest DavisG
Note that sometimes to get the volume to mount in windows as a usb drive sometimes you have to take the mezzanine board off of the main board.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I've been having the same problem as Studebaker above. I've unscrewed the mezzanine board from the Power PMAC and connected it to the PC via USB, but Windows only sees a generic disk drive which I cannot open or view files.

FYI D18 and D14 light up when the USB cable is connected. The USB cable is 24", but I will try a shorter cable tomorrow if I can find one.

However, you've piqued my curiosity. Why is a short USB cable required???

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I've been having the same problem as Studebaker above. I've unscrewed the mezzanine board from the Power PMAC and connected it to the PC via USB, but Windows only sees a generic disk drive which I cannot open or view files.

FYI D18 and D14 light up when the USB cable is connected. The USB cable is 24", but I will try a shorter cable tomorrow if I can find one.

However, you've piqued my curiosity. Why is a short USB cable required???

Shansen,

Since the +5V is not isolated for the memory, some other circuits are also powered up as you plug in the USB to your PC. The shorter USB cable usually has less resistance and can carry higher currents which is needed for powering up the circuitry on the flash board. If the current is not enough the flash will not be powered up and Windows will not detect the disk.

I purchased the shortest mini-USB to USB cable I could find (12 inches), and have tried it with the mezzanine board attached to the Power PMAC and with the mezzanine board removed from the Power PMAC.

I have also tried with the write protect switch in both positions. In all cases, a removable disk shows up in Windows explorer, but I cannot open it to view files.

Here is a picture of my setup:

2012-11-28_14-18-58_6.thumb.jpg.adf4da3fa3ad356e28a9bacb64e9f999.jpg

Hmmm...this seems to be a Windows issue. If I plug the mezzanine board into another Power PMAC and then mount it manually I can see all of the files.

Depending on the computer you are using there may not bee enough power from the USB port. With laptops they will sometimes change available power on the USB if the laptop is powered or running on battery.

Might want to connect the PPMAC to a powered USB hub and then plug the hub into the computer. That way PPMAC will be fully powered before the PC detectes the device.

I am fairly sure that USB power is not the issue. Even though I cannot browse the filesystem, I just verified that I can use WinImage to backup the disk.

Also, I figured out how to manually mount the FAT32 partition, and sure enough I can see it in Windows explorer. For some reason it just isn't auto-mounting (I've tried this on several computers, both Desktop and Laptop and they all do the same thing).

However, it looks like I can create disk images, which was the purpose of the exercise in the first place.

OK, scratch that. I can create images, but cannot restore them (even with the write protect switch in the correct position). I get a "The drive cannot find the sector requested" error.

I am using a PPMAC with 8GB of flash memory if that makes any difference.

As an update, I was able to successfully backup and restore by switching from WinImage to Acronis. Not sure what was causing the problem...

I did find out that the write protect switch on the mezzanine board seems to be in the 'write OK' position by default from the factory. I think the board is in 'write OK' when the switch is lined up with the silkscreen, but I seem to be able to do basic file writes with the switch in either position. I can only do an image restore when the switch is lined up with the silkscreen.