OMRON Forums

C Debugger

JohnR

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I find documentation on the C Debugger ?

Is there a tutorial ?

All I have at the moment is a small guide to starting and stopping the debugger. The rest is similar to VS2008 so it is hopefully a familiar environment.

I tried the C Debug as descibed in the doc file but I keep getting a failure to file file error. What follows is the output window after a complete build and download and then trying to start Debug on capp1.out. The file does exist in the propper directory.

1) Why dose the IDE generate the File Not Found Error ?

Please wait while downloading to Power Pmac.

Downloading capp1.out to Power Pmac.

Downloading fred.out to Power Pmac.

Downloading librtiplcc.so to Power Pmac.

Downloading libplcc.so to Power Pmac.

Downloading usralgo.so to Power Pmac.

Downloading usralgo.ko to Power Pmac.

Downloading global definitions.pmh to Power Pmac.

Downloading subprog1.pmc to Power Pmac.

Downloading prog1.pmc to Power Pmac.

Downloading plc1.plc to Power Pmac.

Downloading pp_startup.txt to Power Pmac.

Downloading pp_disable.txt to Power Pmac.

Downloading pp_proj.ini to Power Pmac.

uploading pp_error.log file from the Power Pmac.

uploading pp_proj.log file from the Power Pmac.

uploading pp_error_hist.log file from the Power Pmac.

uploading pp_proj.h file from the Power Pmac.

Downloading PowerPmac4.ppproj to Power Pmac.

Uploading and syncing PMAC variables.

Download Successful.

Unable to start program 'C:\sw\PPMAC\PowerPmac4\PowerPmac4\bin\debug\capp1.out'.

The system cannot find the file specified.

• 2 months later...

Where can I find documentation on the C Debugger ?

Is there a tutorial ?

All I have at the moment is a small guide to starting and stopping the debugger. The rest is similar to VS2008 so it is hopefully a familiar environment.

I tried the C Debug as descibed in the doc file but I keep getting a failure to file file error. What follows is the output window after a complete build and download and then trying to start Debug on capp1.out. The file does exist in the propper directory.

1) Why dose the IDE generate the File Not Found Error ?

Please wait while downloading to Power Pmac.

Downloading capp1.out to Power Pmac.

Downloading fred.out to Power Pmac.

Downloading librtiplcc.so to Power Pmac.

Downloading libplcc.so to Power Pmac.

Downloading usralgo.ko to Power Pmac.

Downloading global definitions.pmh to Power Pmac.

Downloading subprog1.pmc to Power Pmac.

Downloading prog1.pmc to Power Pmac.

Downloading plc1.plc to Power Pmac.

Downloading pp_startup.txt to Power Pmac.

Downloading pp_disable.txt to Power Pmac.

Downloading pp_proj.ini to Power Pmac.

uploading pp_error.log file from the Power Pmac.

uploading pp_proj.log file from the Power Pmac.

uploading pp_error_hist.log file from the Power Pmac.

uploading pp_proj.h file from the Power Pmac.

Downloading PowerPmac4.ppproj to Power Pmac.

Uploading and syncing PMAC variables.

Download Successful.

Unable to start program 'C:\sw\PPMAC\PowerPmac4\PowerPmac4\bin\debug\capp1.out'.

The system cannot find the file specified.

A re-install of the PPMAC IDE reset/setup the propper registry keys.

This solved the problem of not being able tofind the file.

I am getting the same error. Tried re-installing and also un-installing and then re-installing and it has not fixed the problem.

Guest DavisG
What firmware are you using? Update to the latest firmware and IDE (including the IDE service pack). There are issues with the C Debugger (for example, if you use system commands in your C code it barfs) and a beta version of the IDE with better support should be being tested this week.

• 5 weeks later...

What firmware are you using? Update to the latest firmware and IDE (including the IDE service pack). There are issues with the C Debugger (for example, if you use system commands in your C code it barfs) and a beta version of the IDE with better support should be being tested this week.

Does PMAC_IDE have C++ feature yet?

• 1 year later...

Like JohnR and eboman11, I am experiencing the same thing with the current version.

A simple "Hello, PPMAC" test program worked fine, including debugging it (setting breakpoints, single-stepping it, etc.). Then all I did was change the printf() to an fprintf() to a local file ("/tmp/stderr"), and now suddenly it is "Unable to start program ..."?

Oh, I forgot to mention one caveat: on the initial "Hello, PMAC" program, everything worked fine as far as the IDE and the debugging process, but we never found the output from the printf(). Anybody have ideas where it went? (That's *WHY* we next opted to fprintf() to a file at a known location, BTW).

Oh, I forgot to mention one caveat: on the initial "Hello, PMAC" program, everything worked fine as far as the IDE and the debugging process, but we never found the output from the printf(). Anybody have ideas where it went? (That's *WHY* we next opted to fprintf() to a file at a known location, BTW).

I found a lot of stuff gets sent to the RS-232 port as kind of a default root terminal. This is where I found some of my error codes from background C routines, so you may want to build a serial cable and setup a putty session there.

• 4 weeks later...
Minor update: just verified that it's the PC hosting the IDE that needs re-starting to clear the un-startable *.out program. Existing the IDE and re-starting it is not sufficient! This suggests a registry programming bug, since a toally clean build on an otherwise totally idle PPMAC really should result in a debuggable background C program.

• 1 year later...
Did you ever get debugging to work reliably? Have you tried the latest rev of firmware/IDE? We are having similar issues where it doesn't work and maybe gives an error but the debugger starts so fast we cannot actually read the error if there are any. I do recall seeing something about unable to start once but restarting the debugger seemed to make that go away.