OMRON Forums

Time units for motor

KEJR

Is there a simple way to change the time units for a motor? I now have my motor in inches for position, but inch/msec and inch/msec^2 are awkward units. Alternatively should I just scale them right in the setup code? //Converts for items expecting motor units per millisecond to motor units per second #define UnitsPerSecondSf 0.001 Motor[n].JogSpeed = 5 * UnitsPerSecondSf I'm just looking for best practice that lets me work with reasonable units. Thanks, KEJR

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no direct way so anything you do is some sort of trick, therefore your scale factor way is a good solution. If you want this to work on a CS basis you could consider using feedrate override but I think this is too messy. You can cause a global change by setting Sys.ServoPeriod to a wrong value. This tells the Pmac trajectory calculation enging how long a servo cycle is. If you double this and then restore the feedrate override of the CS to %100 the motor goes twice as fast for the same command. Essentially you have changed the time units from msec to msec/2 for everything in the controller that uses time. Although you could do what you want with this method I think it adds confusion since none of the IDE software supports doing this and all the documentation states msec which would now be incorrect. I am not sure but this might also cause trouble with the autotuner so make sure to be careful using them if you ever do this.

I guess for cmd and PLC moves the timing in msec isn't a big deal and I can use the scale factors in a manual way. Most machines we leave this alone anyway. I really don't want to do anything to trick the PMAC or anything strange. For motion progs it looks like Coord[].FeedTime sets the time units somehow. So by setting this we could get MotorUnits/sec in a C.S. prog if I read this right. Is this true? Thanks, KEJR