OMRON Forums

Source code management

artag

Is anybody using source code management with the PPMAC Suite ? I've struggled to use the built-in link to Source Safe, and in any case would like to understand the requirements of the IDE (which files should be saved, etc.) as I plan to move to Subversion. -adrian

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote='artag' pid='1150' dateline='1295602888'] Is anybody using source code management with the PPMAC Suite ? I've struggled to use the built-in link to Source Safe, and in any case would like to understand the requirements of the IDE (which files should be saved, etc.) as I plan to move to Subversion. -adrian [/quote] I'm using Subversion on everything except the PPMAC right now, including VisualSVN with my VisualStudio 2008. I would love to be able to use VisualSVN with the PPMAC ID. From what I have been able to understand third party add-in are not allowed with the PPMAC IDE. I am hopeful that in the future this will change. john

I'm not too bothered about it working from within the IDE - Subversion is pretty nice from Explorer already. But I'm not sure which files need to be saved and which are autogenerated - I often seem to end up with errors reporting that the .ppproj file is too old and cannot be used, or the IDE crashing (that was apparently caused by leaving pp_proj.ini read-only, which wouldn't be a problem with svn). -adrian

[quote='bradp' pid='1157' dateline='1295638521'] In general the files you need to save are the ones you see in the IDE solution explorer. [/quote] The source files are OK, it's the ones that actually hold the IDE's configuration that I'm having difficulty with. One of these (I think) does appear in the explorer - pp_proj.ini. However, that isn't sufficient - when I open the IDE I need to nominate an _sln file or a .pproj file in order to define the rest of the project files. Yet if I retrieve these files from sourcesafe, the IDE reports that the ppproj file is too old and I need to rebuild the project manually. I don't know whether the IDE is missing another file that I didn't archive, or if perhaps sourcesafe corrupts them. -adrian

[quote='artag' pid='1164' dateline='1295866736'] [quote='bradp' pid='1157' dateline='1295638521'] In general the files you need to save are the ones you see in the IDE solution explorer. [/quote] The source files are OK, it's the ones that actually hold the IDE's configuration that I'm having difficulty with. One of these (I think) does appear in the explorer - pp_proj.ini. However, that isn't sufficient - when I open the IDE I need to nominate an _sln file or a .pproj file in order to define the rest of the project files. Yet if I retrieve these files from sourcesafe, the IDE reports that the ppproj file is too old and I need to rebuild the project manually. I don't know whether the IDE is missing another file that I didn't archive, or if perhaps sourcesafe corrupts them. -adrian [/quote] With some further work, I have got it working. It seems that it's necessary to have a number of files read/writable, rather than being able to work on a read-only copy of the project. Furthermore, the IDE tends to crash or generate misleading error messages if the files are not writable. -adrian