OMRON Forums

Electronic Gearing

jsimon

On our system we have a ball screw (Z) axis and a linear encoder that acts as our v-axis. There is not an actual motor connected to v just an encoder. In our application we drive the z axis down until we get 5mm compression upward on the v-axis. From this point we slave the z-axis to v-axis and run our motion in x and y. On a three dimensional surface the z will move up and down to keep the 5mm compression on the v-axis. We are using the electronic gearing to accomplish this. Our z-axis is tuned well by itself but noisy when following. I have found that if I make adjustments to the gains on the v axis this effects the following axis. So, what would be the appropriate setting for the v-axis since there is not a real motor to be tuned? Currently, the v-axis only has proportional gain and integral gain set very low - 200. One more note, there is 256:125 gear relationship between z and v. I have updated these in Ixx07 and Ixx08 for the z-axis.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote='jsimon' pid='992' dateline='1294234778'] On our system we have a ball screw (Z) axis and a linear encoder that acts as our v-axis. There is not an actual motor connected to v just an encoder. In our application we drive the z axis down until we get 5mm compression upward on the v-axis. From this point we slave the z-axis to v-axis and run our motion in x and y. On a three dimensional surface the z will move up and down to keep the 5mm compression on the v-axis. We are using the electronic gearing to accomplish this. Our z-axis is tuned well by itself but noisy when following. I have found that if I make adjustments to the gains on the v axis this effects the following axis. So, what would be the appropriate setting for the v-axis since there is not a real motor to be tuned? Currently, the v-axis only has proportional gain and integral gain set very low - 200. One more note, there is 256:125 gear relationship between z and v. I have updated these in Ixx07 and Ixx08 for the z-axis. [/quote] Since there is no motor/drive on the “V-axis” the gains do not do anything. If you have change the Ixx08 value for your Z-axis this will have the effect of changing the tuning on that axis. If Ixx08 is changed, Ixx30 should be changed inversely to keep the same servo performance (e.g. if Ixx08 is doubled, Ixx30 should be halved). this is probably part of the cause of the issue. also the master encoder data may be somwhat noisy. you may want to filter this in the encoder conversion table first before using it as a master source.