OMRON Forums

Control of 3-phase stepper motor using Power Brick LV

GustavoGS

Hello all,

I would like to know if it is possible to control 3-phase stepper motors using Power Brick LV.

The Power Brick LV User Manual shows motor wiring for 2-phase stepper motors and 3-phase brushless servo motors only. Can 3-phase stepper be wired the same as 3-phase brushless servo?

Also according to the Power Brick LV User Manual:

"BrickLV.Chan[j].TwoPhaseMode selects the operational output mode of the amplifier channel. If set to its default value of 0, the amplifier is set to 3-phase operational mode, using the U, V, and W output lines.

This operational mode is mainly used with Y-wound or delta-wound brushless servo motors (but 3-phase stepper motors do exist)."

At first, my idea was to set TwoPhaseMode = 0 and try driving the motor using the brushless motor setup.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you intending to use the encoder or not? If not it would be best to start with the "Stepper Motors – Direct Microstepping without Encoder" example, but will the following changes:

BrickLV.Chan[].TwoPhaseMode=0

Motor[].PhaseOffset = 683

Motor[].PhaseMode = 0

I2T Protection would already be correct for a 3 phase motor in that section, but once it's updated to be correct for 2 phase you'll want to keep the cos(30) like below:

Motor[].MaxDac/I2tSet = PeakCurrentrms * 32768 * √2 * cos(30°) / MaxAdc