OMRON Forums

WDTFault and firmware

jchan

I am using a CPU 460ex PowerPMAC, which has been working fine. However, recently when powering up the CPU, it gets a WDTFault and disconnects from the IDE immediately. And this is now happening everytime.

I also have a Macro Acc5E3 card in that rack. I have found that removing that card from the rack stops the WDTFault upon power up and the PMAC powers up as per usual.

Would anyone know why this happen and how to solve the issue?

I am also trying to re-install the same version of firmware (2.4.0.180), but it always seems to fail either through the IDE or by USB. Is there a way to remove the current firmware and reinstall the same version on the same CPU?

Appreciate any help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a 32 axis Acc5E3 it appears to the PMAC as two cards. It is very easy to set one of the ACC24E3 cards to the same address as the second bank on the 5E3 and it causes the watchdog problem you describe.

Make sure that you don't have overlapping addresses.

Yes, I double checked and both 5E3 addresses for the same card, does not overlap with any 24E3 cards on the same rack.

Do you see a hardware change error without the ACC5E3? It may be the PMAC is just booting successfully because it fell back to a default state.

The hardware change error has appeared on power-on a couple times, but not everytime. Unlike the watchdog which appears everytime.

So if you power up with the 5E3 you always get a watchdog.

With no 5E3 you sometimes get a good boot, sometimes get a hardware change error.

Is this correct?

PMAC keeps a list of what hardware (think gate cards) is present on download. If a different list of hardware is present on power on or $$$, PMAC will throw a hardware change error and boot at a default state.

I was assuming you would always have a watchdog, but the hardware change error was preventing it.

Have you changed and saved any new code recently that could have been related?

I am also trying to re-install the same version of firmware (2.4.0.180), but it always seems to fail either through the IDE or by USB. Is there a way to remove the current firmware and reinstall the same version on the same CPU?

You would have to temporarily install a different firmware version.