OMRON Forums

Tips for decreasing Power PMAC compile time?

teaguehall

When developing C code on the Power PMAC, I notice that the compile time is incredibly slow. For a modest size project, I've been getting ~10 minute compile times. This is incredibly painful.

I recall there being some weird series of events where the compiler code/library code has to get uploaded from the PMAC for every compile. So essentially the compiler is dependent on the PMAC that you're building against and ultimately your network connection.

Are there any tips for decreasing this compile time?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What CPU, firmware and IDE are you using? Is PMAC wired directly to the computer you are using? Does it go through some network infrastructure?

Version 4 IDE with dual core (465) CPU firmware version 2.3.2.5. My computer is connected to the PMAC through a network.

Does the compiler generate log files anywhere? I'd like to see what step is taking so long. It seems like adding code to the "library" folder and then linking to that increases compile time significantly. Curious if it's a linker issue.

Do you do a build and download or only a build? At the end of a build or a build and download we print in the output window all the messages that are generated by the build and download and also we print the total time for build and also the total time for the download process as well, can you share those numbers. I want to see whether the build is taking the time or the download. For the build process portion of the build and download, we upload the libraries from the Power Pmac one time during your first build or build and download process. After the initial upload, the subsequent builds only check the type of the PMAC you are connected to generate the correct make files for the build, which would not consume any time at all.

Do you do a build and download or only a build? At the end of a build or a build and download we print in the output window all the messages that are generated by the build and download and also we print the total time for build and also the total time for the download process as well, can you share those numbers. I want to see whether the build is taking the time or the download. For the build process portion of the build and download, we upload the libraries from the Power Pmac one time during your first build or build and download process. After the initial upload, the subsequent builds only check the type of the PMAC you are connected to generate the correct make files for the build, which would not consume any time at all.

Hi Dro,

Yes its the build process that seems to be going slowly. The download is relatively fast so I don't have issues when developing PMAC Script Language code, just C code.

When watching the output window, it seems to get stuck after "PowerPMAC variables mapped successfully" for a long time. After waiting ~7-10 minutes, it says that the build was successful. I'm curious if there are any build files.

Capture.PNG.a6bf89e7ab22d7786fefe2629f105304.PNG

Hi,

please go to Tools->Options menu in the IDE. In the Options window expand the Projects and Solutions node and select the build and run option. in this option, change the msbuild project build output verbosity and msbuild project build file verbosity settings to normal.

Do a build only and check the output window for the compiling progression of your c apps and visually you can see which one is taking more time to compile. Are you compiling a Realtime routine?

Hi,

please go to Tools->Options menu in the IDE. In the Options window expand the Projects and Solutions node and select the build and run option. in this option, change the msbuild project build output verbosity and msbuild project build file verbosity settings to normal.

Do a build only and check the output window for the compiling progression of your c apps and visually you can see which one is taking more time to compile. Are you compiling a Realtime routine?

So it looks like the compile time just takes a long time for everything (background process, libraries, realtime, etc.).

However, it seems to do a full rebuild when I simply click the "build" option. I realize that if I were to change a single file that is linked against everything else, that could potentially trigger a full rebuild, but that's not the case here.

Is this expected behavior?

I'm not sure if my project uses encryption. Where would I check to see if its enabled?

When right clicking my project, I have a "Build" and "Rebuild" option. I would assume the build option simply compiles things that have changed while rebuild is an explicit "rebuild all".

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if my project uses encryption. Where would I check to see if its enabled?

When right clicking my project, I have a "Build" and "Rebuild" option. I would assume the build option simply compiles things that have changed while rebuild is an explicit "rebuild all".

It is under “PowerPMAC project general properties”. Right mouse click the top project folder in the “Solution Explorer” and select “Properties”.