OMRON Forums

Documentation for /opt/ppmac/tune

JeffLowe

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

/opt/ppmac/tune would be a behind the scenes program that runs on PMAC to interact with the tune tool in the IDE.

There is a section on using the tuning tool in the IDE manual. To view it, within the IDE navigate to "Help" -> "PowerPMAC IDE Manual".

Search "tuning" to find the section in the table of contents.

For information on how to tune a motor, see page page 156 of these training slides:

http://forums.deltatau.com/filedepot/download.php?f=Power%20PMAC/Training%20Slides/Class%20Slides/Power%20PMAC%205-Day%20Training%20-%20December%202016.pdf [FILE REMOVED]

/opt/ppmac/tune would be a behind the scenes program that runs on PMAC to interact with the tune tool in the IDE.

There is a section on using the tuning tool in the IDE manual. To view it, within the IDE navigate to "Help" -> "PowerPMAC IDE Manual".

Search "tuning" to find the section in the table of contents.

For information on how to tune a motor, see page page 156 of these training slides:

http://forums.deltatau.com/filedepot/download.php?f=Power%20PMAC/Training%20Slides/Class%20Slides/Power%20PMAC%205-Day%20Training%20-%20December%202016.pdf [FILE REMOVED]

Eric, I have been tuning PMACs for 28 years. I don't especially need a tutorial. I am looking at using these internal tools from my own HMI via telnet so I do not have to involve my users in the intricacies of the IDE. Invoking them does give a list of required parameters, but there is no documentation on values of the inputs, and/or the output from the routines. I assume some of them will be just gathering, but others are generating filter parameters and I need to know what to expect. Way back when we purchased a couple seats of the SDK we were told that anything we could do from the IDE we would be able to implement via the SDK. This has not proven to be the case so I am looking at what it would take to tunnel down and invoke these functions directly.

Aloha Jeff,

A few years back I was attempting a similar thing to what you're doing now. I contacted delta tau and they also told me that those functions are for internal use only and referred me to their IDE.

What I did is I used the sinesweep function in the tune directory to excite my system through a range of frequencies. If I remember right I pretty much had to reverse engineer it myself since I have additional hardware connected to my pmac that wouldn't allow me to use the tuning aspect of their IDE. So instead what I did was just typed the command "sinesweep" and a list of arguments was explained to me:

sinesweep
The number of arguments specified is incorrect.
You need 7 Arguments for this function
Motor Number 
Excitation Amplitude 
Starting Frequency of sinesweep 
Ending Frequency of sinesweep
Sine sweep time
Sine sweep Method  (0 or 1) 
Kill flag (0 or 1) 
Please try again.

I got the unit/descriptions from looking at their tuning part of the IDE and taking the arguments above and relating them to what I saw in the IDE. From what I remember, other than the frequency units, the units were from your scaling factors in your configuration. Mine were just in encoder units. Sweeptime was in seconds and the Sinw sweep method corresponded to a linear chirp or a log chirp.

I made sure that I put the system in a safe state before trying my first time. And even then for my first time I tried something insanely small for amplitude to see what it did. Even then I had my hand on the kill switch to cut the power if things ran away.

Hope this helps!

thanks,

windell