OMRON Forums

Problems with Gnome on video option PPMAC

KEJR

Hello, We have purchased a video option PPMAC. I plugged in a monitor/keyboard/mouse yesterday and got to the graphical login screen just fine. When I logged in with a gnome session, however, it had failed since the /home folder is not writeable. This happened for both the "root" user as well as the "deltatau" user accounts. Doesn't it make sense to have the /home folders of each user be a separate partition? You could then leave it to the customer to mount it as read-only or read-write. As far as I can tell the /home folder is under the root partition as a part of /dev/sda2. I dont' feel comfortable mounting the root filesystem as read-write just for the desktop environment. In the long run we will probably end up installing a lightweight window manager and hijacking the bootup process somewhere so that we can auto-login a user account and start our HMI. In this case the fact that we don't have a writeable user account is not a huge concern. I'm fairly positive that some lightweight window managers don't need to write to your home folder every time they run (In fact TWM did work out of the box when I logged in). Thanks, ~KEJR

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The root folder is actually /root and is writable. It is mounted as aufs2 using the union of the sda2 readonly folder /.readonly/root and the tmpfs folder /.readonly/root-tmpfs-mirror. This provides a good background on union filesystems [url]http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7714[/url] . We use [url]http://aufs.sourceforge.net/[/url] for our implementation. You can login from the gnome screen with user root and password deltatau. If you want to add another partition to the flash disk that is best done by attaching the flash daughter card to a Linux Desktop and using gparted which is a great partitioning tool. You could then modify the /.readonly/etc/fstab The possibiliteis are endless you can setup the system anyway you want. [quote='KEJR' pid='701' dateline='1284559049'] Hello, We have purchased a video option PPMAC. I plugged in a monitor/keyboard/mouse yesterday and got to the graphical login screen just fine. When I logged in with a gnome session, however, it had failed since the /home folder is not writeable. This happened for both the "root" user as well as the "deltatau" user accounts. Doesn't it make sense to have the /home folders of each user be a separate partition? You could then leave it to the customer to mount it as read-only or read-write. As far as I can tell the /home folder is under the root partition as a part of /dev/sda2. I dont' feel comfortable mounting the root filesystem as read-write just for the desktop environment. In the long run we will probably end up installing a lightweight window manager and hijacking the bootup process somewhere so that we can auto-login a user account and start our HMI. In this case the fact that we don't have a writeable user account is not a huge concern. I'm fairly positive that some lightweight window managers don't need to write to your home folder every time they run (In fact TWM did work out of the box when I logged in). Thanks, ~KEJR [/quote]