OMRON Forums

Telnet Problems on new subnet ...

KEJR

Hello, First off, I changed my PPMAC to 192.168.169.200 address using the IDE. This seemed to work and "/etc/network/interfaces" looks OK. I had been experiencing the telnet "delay" problem yesterday and have added my Windows PC's IP address to /etc/hosts file (which worked). It would seem from my internet search on this issue that the problem is with DNS doing a reverse lookup of the IP address and timing out. The fix of adding my PC address to "/etc/hosts" is somewhat temporary, however, in that our PCs use DHCP to obtain their IP addresses and it could change any day. Today if I change my PCs address (using static IP) to any address *not* listed in "/etc/hosts" telnet no longer works at all (I've waited several minutes and it just hangs). I have also noted that some file is being appended (or script generating) all of the addresses in subnet 192.168.0 to "/etc/hosts". At my company we are on the 192.168.169 subnet and it would seem I need to modify the script that is generating these addresses in "/etc/hosts". Is this something that should be done automatically upon changing your IP address in the IDE software (or script provided to do this from telnet)? I may just append all of the addresses in "192.168.169" subnet manually to "/etc/hosts" file, but something more automated would be nice if we ever have to change our PPMACs to another subnet some day. I did try to add entries in "/etc/hosts.allow" (again doing the remount,rw) but they don't seem to help. I tried the following: in.telnetd: ALL ALL: 192.168.169. None of these seems to work. Thanks, ~KEJR

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

configure the file /.readonly/etc/resolv.conf appropiately for you network with the following contents with your appropiate ip addresses of course. domain 10.10.98.7 search 10.10.98.7 nameserver 10.10.98.7 also make sure that gateway is setup for your router in /etc/network/interfaces In addition our next release of the IDE due out in Q1 2011 will use SSH which does have the long DNS delay . [quote='KEJR' pid='699' dateline='1284483854'] Hello, First off, I changed my PPMAC to 192.168.169.200 address using the IDE. This seemed to work and "/etc/network/interfaces" looks OK. I had been experiencing the telnet "delay" problem yesterday and have added my Windows PC's IP address to /etc/hosts file (which worked). It would seem from my internet search on this issue that the problem is with DNS doing a reverse lookup of the IP address and timing out. The fix of adding my PC address to "/etc/hosts" is somewhat temporary, however, in that our PCs use DHCP to obtain their IP addresses and it could change any day. Today if I change my PCs address (using static IP) to any address *not* listed in "/etc/hosts" telnet no longer works at all (I've waited several minutes and it just hangs). I have also noted that some file is being appended (or script generating) all of the addresses in subnet 192.168.0 to "/etc/hosts". At my company we are on the 192.168.169 subnet and it would seem I need to modify the script that is generating these addresses in "/etc/hosts". Is this something that should be done automatically upon changing your IP address in the IDE software (or script provided to do this from telnet)? I may just append all of the addresses in "192.168.169" subnet manually to "/etc/hosts" file, but something more automated would be nice if we ever have to change our PPMACs to another subnet some day. I did try to add entries in "/etc/hosts.allow" (again doing the remount,rw) but they don't seem to help. I tried the following: in.telnetd: ALL ALL: 192.168.169. None of these seems to work. Thanks, ~KEJR [/quote]