OMRON Forums

Samba/CIFS or NFS Share on Power PMAC?

rvanderbijl

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to create a network share on their Power PMAC, accessible from Windows.

We have a USB flash key plugged into the Power PMAC that is used to save data that is being generated by our application. Ideally, I would prefer not to have to start winscp or similar to pull data from it, but instead, use a share to access it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to create a network share on their Power PMAC, accessible from Windows.

We have a USB flash key plugged into the Power PMAC that is used to save data that is being generated by our application. Ideally, I would prefer not to have to start winscp or similar to pull data from it, but instead, use a share to access it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

Our PC has two ethernet ports. One is dedicated to the PPMAC and we assign a fixed ip to this port at 192.168.0.100

Create a useraccount on the PC , for example ppuser with a password deltatau

Right click the file you want to share, select properties, select sharing and advanced sharing. give the shared folder a name. we use share. add xome temporary file to the share for verification purposes.

Use a terminal program like PUTTY and connect to the power pmac at 192.168.0.200, or other IP if you have changed it. Logon as root, password deltatau.

enter the following:

mount -o remount,rw /

mkdir -p /mnt/win

use the nano editor to edit /etc/fstab you will see something like this:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

#

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/sda1 /opt vfat ro 0 0

/dev/sda2 / ext2 ro 0 0

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs

Add the following to the end of fstab

//192.168.0.100/share /mnt/win cifs username=ppuser,password=deltatay 0 1

exit nano with and enter the following:

cd /.readonly/etc-tmpfs-mirror

cp -a * ../etc

mount -o remount,ro /

reboot

close the terminal

Once rebooted restart the terminal, logon and type:

ls /mnt/win

You should see the file you entered into the share folder on the PC.

This process works on the 460ex cpu. during my short time playing with the 465, I found that it was necessary to create a credentials file with the username and password in it with a pathname to that file in fstab. I don't have the details on that.

JeffLowe, I understand how to do it in THAT direction. I.e. the PC is the server and the PPMAC the client. What I'm looking to do is the reverse. As I cannot count on the PC always being up and running for logging purposes. Therefore the PPMAC writes these log files locally to a USB drive, but I would like to be able to get easy access to them and be able to tail them from a PC (yes, I know, I can tail -f in a putty window, but it's not ideal as I'd like to combine it with other logs being generated on other parts of our equipment).

I realize I can install a Samba server on the PPMAC, but before I do that, would like to know if anyone has done that and if there are any gotchas..