Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Backing up" and Cloning Power PMAC
I am trying to figure out what the best method would be to back up and clone one Power PMAC to another.
Based on this forum, I understand that connecting the PMAC via USB to a PC and using WinImage is the right way to go. However, while this works for the backing up part (and restoring), it doesn't work for cloning.
If I restore that image to another card, I cannot connect to the Ethernet interface. KEJR was nice enough to point out that it may have something to do with the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file. In that file, it looks like eth0 and other interfaces are being defined using their MAC ID's. Obviously when you clone a card, it won't be the same MAC ID, therefore, no connection...

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than connecting through a serial cable after a clone and editing this file?
There are several "backup" schemes in the IDE under "Delta Tau" "Tools" "Backup Restore". have you tried any of these?
(02-02-2017, 06:19 PM)steve.milici Wrote: There are several "backup" schemes in the IDE under "Delta Tau" "Tools" "Backup Restore". have you tried any of these?

Steve,

I have not yet. Mainly because I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to back up.. Reading the IDE manual, it looks like you can either do this through a shared drive or a USB stick on the PMAC itself.
I'm using the USB port on the PMAC to mount an external stick for the C/C++ development, logfiles, etc. I'm guessing it doesn't like the fact that there is already a mount point in use as no USB stick target shows up.
And I haven't been able to figure out the shared drive option yet. I'll dig into that a bit more.

But more importantly, do things such as packages installed, mount configuration, etc. also transfer over in an image backup?

And if I restore the image to another PMAC, will I have the same issues I have with the eth0/1 ports as I did with WinImage?

(Incidentally, I was able to resolve the issue with WinImage and eth0/1 by using a serial cable and fixing the 70-rules ... file manually. Not ideal, but it appears that's all that's needed to get it to work if I need to clone to a new/different PMAC).

Thanks,
Robbert