OMRON Forums

"Backing up" and Cloning Power PMAC

rvanderbijl

I am trying to figure out what the best method would be to back up and clone one Power PMAC to another.

Based on this forum, I understand that connecting the PMAC via USB to a PC and using WinImage is the right way to go. However, while this works for the backing up part (and restoring), it doesn't work for cloning.

If I restore that image to another card, I cannot connect to the Ethernet interface. KEJR was nice enough to point out that it may have something to do with the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file. In that file, it looks like eth0 and other interfaces are being defined using their MAC ID's. Obviously when you clone a card, it won't be the same MAC ID, therefore, no connection...

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than connecting through a serial cable after a clone and editing this file?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several "backup" schemes in the IDE under "Delta Tau" "Tools" "Backup Restore". have you tried any of these?

Steve,

I have not yet. Mainly because I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to back up.. Reading the IDE manual, it looks like you can either do this through a shared drive or a USB stick on the PMAC itself.

I'm using the USB port on the PMAC to mount an external stick for the C/C++ development, logfiles, etc. I'm guessing it doesn't like the fact that there is already a mount point in use as no USB stick target shows up.

And I haven't been able to figure out the shared drive option yet. I'll dig into that a bit more.

But more importantly, do things such as packages installed, mount configuration, etc. also transfer over in an image backup?

And if I restore the image to another PMAC, will I have the same issues I have with the eth0/1 ports as I did with WinImage?

(Incidentally, I was able to resolve the issue with WinImage and eth0/1 by using a serial cable and fixing the 70-rules ... file manually. Not ideal, but it appears that's all that's needed to get it to work if I need to clone to a new/different PMAC).

Thanks,

Robbert