OMRON Forums

PcommServer for PMAC2 (Isa) Win7

JeffLowe

When we have been asked by our customers to upgrade a legacy NC system from Windows whatever (NT4, 2000, or XP) with a Turbo PMAC2 ISA, historically we have required them to purchase a new Turbo PMAC2 PCI as the PCommServer device drivers were not comparable for ISA units. With the termination of this upgrade path for our customers employing these units (approximately 150 machines at $450K each), is there a way to make PCommServer work for ISA Turbo PMAC2 boards under 32 bit Windows 7?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jeff,

I've been talking quite a bit to managers about this, both at DT and Omron HQ.

One idea Steve Jones and I had...

- you have said that Power PMAC with Enet will not give you the same level of through-put thru the buffer as before using the Bin-Rot and PCI bus

- I suspect you are correct.

- perhaps a upgrade path for these applications would be to move to the new Power PMAC IPC, this is a I7 Windows PC with Power PMAC embedded. If I'm thinking right on this now you have nothing but Memory transfer rates to get your Gcode to the Buffer. This eliminates the Ethernet or PCI bus.

-however this also limits you to ECAT to drives/IO which may not give us the preformance needed at the drive ?

-so I value your opinion on this ??

thanks,

mike

... - perhaps a upgrade path for these applications would be to move to the new Power PMAC IPC, this is a I7 Windows PC with Power PMAC embedded. If I'm thinking right on this now you have nothing but Memory transfer rates to get your Gcode to the Buffer. This eliminates the Ethernet or PCI bus.

-however this also limits you to ECAT to drives/IO which may not give us the preformance needed at the drive ?

-------------------------------------------------

In the past we have been told by Delta Tau that the EtherCat Servo would have too much jitter for High Precision multiaxis contouring. This is why our jew project ended up with a Macro ring for 5 axis 0.1 micron class machining.

Does the PowerPMAC IPC support Macro?

Thanks

Yes that is my concern.

We need tests/data on limits of ECAT, can it handle high accuracy applications ?

I doubt ever do it in Torque mode, but in Position mode it really depends on how well the drive can control the load... so if the drive can close the loop and hold with very little jitter, maybe work.

I ask GredD at Omron if any specs or tests done with new Omron 1S Ecat drive and how accurate it can hold a give position.

What do you consider high accuracy ? or good enough for your applications ?

Another great point to push Managers af ODT/Omron factory with:

- IPC with MACRO

- IPC in UBUS rack .... no need for PCI with this... similar to the past PC104 with Turbo in a Umac rack

Yes that is my concern.

We need tests/data on limits of ECAT, can it handle high accuracy applications ?

I doubt ever do it in Torque mode, but in Position mode it really depends on how well the drive can control the load... so if the drive can close the loop and hold with very little jitter, maybe work.

I ask GredD at Omron if any specs or tests done with new Omron 1S Ecat drive and how accurate it can hold a give position.

What do you consider high accuracy ? or good enough for your applications ?

Another great point to push Managers af ODT/Omron factory with:

- IPC with MACRO

- IPC in UBUS rack .... no need for PCI with this... similar to the past PC104 with Turbo in a Umac rack

Sure would be nice to share a phase clock between EtherCat drives as an option.