OMRON Forums

Configuring ethernet on the PowerPMAC

hbausley

Configuring ethernet on the PowerPMAC. The network configuration for PowerPMAC is stored in the /opt/etc/network/interfaces file. This file is modified by the IDE when you change the network settings through the IDE. The boot scripts copy the /opt/etc/network/interfaces file tom /etc on boot. If you wish to edit these settings modify the /opt/etc/network/interfaces By default the file looks like below. EXAMPLE: Default auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.200 auto eth0 If you wish to be able to access other networks and you have a router you typically need to modify the gateway address in this file. EXAMPLE: Modified gateway auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1 auto eth0 If you wanted to use both ethernet connectors you can enable eth0 and eth1 EXAMPLE: eth0 Static IP & eth1 dhcp auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1 auto eth0 iface eth1 inet dhcp auto eth1 EXAMPLE: eth0 Static IP & eth1 Static IP auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1 auto eth0 auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface eth1 inet static address 192.168.0.201 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1 auto eth1 If you are using DHCP the /etc/resolv.conf file will automatically be created and you will be able to reach the web. If you use static IP's then you must manually create /etc/resolv.conf The contents of /etc/resolv.conf are the nameserver's of your facility. The file /etc/resolv.conf should look like the following. nameserver 10.10.98.7 nameserver 10.10.98.15 You can get your addresses by going to a Windows command prompt and typing ipconfig /all and see the addresses for DNS Servers To get the PowerPMAC on the web do the following 1.) Fix the gateway address mount -o remount,rw /opt [EDIT /opt/etc/network/interfaces so the gateway is correct] mount -o remount,ro /opt 2.) Setup the nameserver mount -o remount,rw / [EDIT /etc/resolv.conf] cp /etc/resolv.conf /.readonly/etc/resolv.conf mount -o remount,ro / 3.) Test your work with a ping www.yahoo.com [quote='scott.eichhorn@etrema.com' pid='448' dateline='1276266793'] I did follow the steps, but only for entering a single entry. Gedit was much quicker for adding a whole range of IP's. Thanks for the insight into the .readonly structure you are using. That solved my problem. I have one additional question on the X-Windows setup. Is there a way to allow ETH0 or ETH1 to connect to the internet through our LAN? I've tried to enable both connections and set static IP's with the X-Windows network dialog box, but the as soon as I close the network window the settings are lost. Thanks again, Scott [/quote]

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use both ethernet interfaces (static IPs for each), each on different networks. I would like to setup resolv.conf for one of them, the other does not have access to a DNS server. If I specify a DNS server in resolv.conf, it causes problems for the ethernet interface that can't find it. Is it somehow possible to separately specify DNS servers for the two interfaces?

wfsteele, This problem can be solved if you define the routing table properly, allowing only packets related to Ethernet port with no DNS to be sent through and the rest through the other Ethernet port. Your can use the command prompt command "route" to setup your routing table. Regards,

• 5 months later...
If you look in /.readonly/etc-tmpfs-mirror you will see what files were changed when you updated the route table. Can you tell us what you did to update the route table. So you will do a mount -o remount,rw / cp /.readonly/etc-tmpfs-mirror/[changed files] /.readonly/etc/[changed files] mount -o remount,ro /

• 1 month later...
hbausley We need to add an IP Route to our device and I cannot seem to be able to save it. I can manually type it at the command prompt as follows ip route add 192.168.0.2 via 192.168.0.10 and I can confirm it took by typing "route" and viewing. I cannot figure out where it needs to get put so that on reboot it runs the command each time. I've tried adding it to the end of the /etc/interfaces file but that doesnt seem to work. Is there a script somewhere I need place this command?

Try adding it to the interfaces network configuration file. Make you file look like auto eth0 iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.254 up route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.0.200 [url]http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/configuring-static-routes-in-debian-or-red-hat-linux-systems.html[/url] Let us know if it works. [quote='MClement' pid='3112' dateline='1328880578'] hbausley We need to add an IP Route to our device and I cannot seem to be able to save it. I can manually type it at the command prompt as follows ip route add 192.168.0.2 via 192.168.0.10 and I can confirm it took by typing "route" and viewing. I cannot figure out where it needs to get put so that on reboot it runs the command each time. I've tried adding it to the end of the /etc/interfaces file but that doesnt seem to work. Is there a script somewhere I need place this command? [/quote]

• 1 month later...
[quote='dzrong' pid='3269' dateline='1332228388'] The interfaces file can't be edited,because it's read-only,and i had tried to change it so many times,but not success, Who can give me a simple way to change this file? Thanks [/quote] Follow the instructions here: http://forums.deltatau.com/showthread.php?tid=851&pid=3253#pid3253

Hello Sina, The firmwear of PPmac i'm using is 1.3.0.0,and i can't update it to higher version because some reason,and it seems the old version doesn't support the "PowerPmacIP folder" function.So i think i have to change this file directly. My question is how to change the /opt/etc/network/interfaces file.Why i can't change the read-only property of the file? Thanks

OK, used the mount command, i can change the interfaces file ,but after power cycle,PPmac can't be connected at all,and the firmware is 1.3.0.0 ,the way using a USB memory stick or SD Card can be supported,so how can i connect to the PPmac again? This is my interfaces file: auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.200 iface eth1 inet static address 192.168.0.201 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.201 auto eth0 auto eth1 Thanks

You have to either use a serial cable to get connected to Power PMAC at 115200 Baud rate change your /opt/etc/network/interfaces file or You have to disconnect the flash daughter card and connect it to a linux OS using USB connector available on the memory card and modify the /opt/etc/network/interfaces file.