OMRON Forums

PCOMM32W Question

MarkMF

I have a legacy application that used the old PCOMM32.dll library. According to the PCOMMServer Pro 2 documentation, PCOMM32W is "A wrapper for the IPmacDevice Interface for legacy programs." So I am guessing what I am doing is exactly what PCOMM32W was meant for. I should note that the legacy application has been used for years successfully before the upgrade to the new Pcommserver Pro 2 Library.

I have been able to successfully link to the PCOMM32W.dll library with the existing code, but I have noticed some discrepancies.

OpenPmacDevice(gDeviceId)

Under PCOMM32.dll this returned 0 for false and 1 for true. Under PCOMM32W.dll this returns 0 for false and 0xFFFF for true. I can work around this one easy enough, and after opening the device I can use the PmacGetResponseExA successfully.

PmacDPRGetMem(gDeviceId, gPmacFromOffset4, gNFromPmac4,gFromPmac.f)

Under PCOMM32.dll this would successfully fill gFromPmac.f with data from the DPR. With PCOMM32W.dll this fails to fill gFromPmac.f with any data at all.

Are there any appnotes on PCOMM32W.dll covering problems such as this? Is there a change in the behavior of DPRGetMem? Any help on this would be appreciated.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a legacy application that used the old PCOMM32.dll library. According to the PCOMMServer Pro 2 documentation, PCOMM32W is "A wrapper for the IPmacDevice Interface for legacy programs." So I am guessing what I am doing is exactly what PCOMM32W was meant for. I should note that the legacy application has been used for years successfully before the upgrade to the new Pcommserver Pro 2 Library.

I have been able to successfully link to the PCOMM32W.dll library with the existing code, but I have noticed some discrepancies.

OpenPmacDevice(gDeviceId)

Under PCOMM32.dll this returned 0 for false and 1 for true. Under PCOMM32W.dll this returns 0 for false and 0xFFFF for true. I can work around this one easy enough, and after opening the device I can use the PmacGetResponseExA successfully.

PmacDPRGetMem(gDeviceId, gPmacFromOffset4, gNFromPmac4,gFromPmac.f)

Under PCOMM32.dll this would successfully fill gFromPmac.f with data from the DPR. With PCOMM32W.dll this fails to fill gFromPmac.f with any data at all.

Are there any appnotes on PCOMM32W.dll covering problems such as this? Is there a change in the behavior of DPRGetMem? Any help on this would be appreciated.

In Pro2 library, PcommServer is the core engine and has all the required functions for data transfer between PMAC and host computer. Pcomm32W.dll contains few functions such as Open(), close and GetResponse() etc and provides support for only some legacy applications. No new applications should be developed using Pcomm32W.dll. This is why there is no documentation and no example programs available for Pcomm32W.dll.

Pcommserver based software development kit supports all modes of communication and provides plenty of sample programs for VB, C# and C++ environments. Please refer to PcommServer manual for attaching to GetMem() and SetMem() methods for data transfer between PMAC controller and host computer.