OMRON Forums

Connecting to PPMAC via LAN

I'm trying to connect to my new Power PMAC via our LAN. I've assigned the PMAC a static IP. I can ping the PMAC IP and get a good response. I can connect the PMAC Suite on startup if I select the PPmac server protocol instead of Telnet. However, when opening new windows such as "motor setup" or task manager, they will not connect using either protocol. The other windows still show an online status, but new ones never connect. Any suggestions? Thanks, Scott

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, I suspect you have a PowerPMAC with a video option? Telnet has a 10-20 second delay if it attempts to perform dns resolution which happens when you have a system with the video option. 1.) To remove the delay login into powerpmac using telnet. Use your favorite utility ie. Windows Hyperterminal, or add the command line telnet to Windows or download putty.exe at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html . login as root with the password deltatau then add the IP address of your PC to the PowerPMAC hosts file. For example if your PC has an IP of 10.34.9.21 issue the following commands from the linux prompt after you have logged in mount -o remount,rw / echo 10.34.9.21 IP_10_34_9_21 >> /.readonly/etc/hosts echo 10.34.9.21 IP_10_34_9_21 >> /etc/hosts mount -o remount,ro / 2.) We already automatically add 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.254 to the /etc/hosts file so the alternative would have been to give your PC a static IP 192.168.0.x address. 3.) We are in the process of making the default client SSH which doesn't try to perform the dns resolution before login and does not have the 20sec login delay like telnet. 4.) The Server communication option is still in test and all the controls have not been tested with it yet. [quote='scott.eichhorn@etrema.com' pid='437' dateline='1276026410'] I'm trying to connect to my new Power PMAC via our LAN. I've assigned the PMAC a static IP. I can ping the PMAC IP and get a good response. I can connect the PMAC Suite on startup if I select the PPmac server protocol instead of Telnet. However, when opening new windows such as "motor setup" or task manager, they will not connect using either protocol. The other windows still show an online status, but new ones never connect. Any suggestions? Thanks, Scott [/quote]