OMRON Forums

setting up OPC

RickJames

I'm developing an HMI in VB and I want to use OPC for sharing the I/O and variables on the power pmac. Does Delta Tau have a configurator for configuring the server, or do we need to purchase one from a seperate vendor like the Baker Motion Control System's SerOPC? Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote='RickJames' pid='434' dateline='1276006555'] I'm developing an HMI in VB and I want to use OPC for sharing the I/O and variables on the power pmac. Does Delta Tau have a configurator for configuring the server, or do we need to purchase one from a seperate vendor like the Baker Motion Control System's SerOPC? Thanks. [/quote] What OPC server are you speaking about? We do not have an OPC server for Power Pmac and I have not heard that Baker Motion Control has converted their server to Power Pmac. The way Power Pmac is structured you might not need an OPC server. Internally we have the Power Pmac shared memory which contains all the data structures and variables and is exposed to all programs and processes connected to Power Pmac. This together with the communications that allow multiple hosts to connect on independent threads can in some cases take the place of an OPC server. What we offer is a component library which combines a communication library and a library of several of the .Net components (such as a terminal window, position window, status window) used in our Power Pmac IDE. This allows you to have a proven communications platform and some commonly used controls.

http://www.bakermotion.com/Servers.htm This is where I'd read about the Baker OPC client and the Pmac ( doesn't actually mention Power Pmac ). I knew I hadn't seen it in the Power Pmac documentation. Using shared memory was my alternative. I just haven't had a way to experiment with the methods included in the VB.NET library. And there is little documentation on the .NET. Thanks for the info.

[quote='RickJames' pid='439' dateline='1276029582'] http://www.bakermotion.com/Servers.htm This is where I'd read about the Baker OPC client and the Pmac ( doesn't actually mention Power Pmac ). I knew I hadn't seen it in the Power Pmac documentation. Using shared memory was my alternative. I just haven't had a way to experiment with the methods included in the VB.NET library. And there is little documentation on the .NET. Thanks for the info. [/quote] When you install the PowerPmac IDE you also get some sample projects to help you use the communications library. Look under your install directory for a directory named SampleProjects.