OMRON Forums

Simultaneous USB and Ethernet communication Geobrick LV

esuljoti

Hi everybody,

we are writing an EPICS ASYN based IOC to control a Geobrick LV. As soon as our sw starts to communicate with the Brick via Ethernet than immediately crashes PeWin32 Pro2. We would like to have the possibility to communicate simultaneously both via Ethernet and USB (PeWin32 Pro2 Win 7) with our Brick in order to better debug our sw. Is that possible with the turbo pmac 2 ?

Thanks in advance.

Ervis

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What OS and version of PEWin are you using? I have tested with Windows 8.1 x64 and the latest version of PEWin (4.4). I tested with two applications running on the same computer, as well as two separate computers and could not duplicate your results.

What OS and version of PEWin are you using? I have tested with Windows 8.1 x64 and the latest version of PEWin (4.4). I tested with two applications running on the same computer, as well as two separate computers and could not duplicate your results.

The answers to your questions:

1. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 with no further Micosoft updates on Intel i7, 8 GB RAM.

2. PeWin32PRO2 Version "4.3.2.0 Jul 22 2013". We bought the licence with CD labeled "PMAC Executive Pro2 Suite V4.2.xx Release Version May 14,2014" from DT UK last year.

PeWin32Pro2 is running as administrator. We tried both compatibility mode "WinXP service Pack3" and also normal Win 7 running environement, it crashes anyway.

We are using actually the Geobrick LV IMS II, but I am sure it makes no difference since is is just a LV in a 19" Rack.

I attached a screenshot with the last error message before PeWin crashes.

With the new version of PeWin 4.4 did you update also the driver PCOMM32PRO ?

Greetings.

screenshot.thumb.png.784614ce2a32880c0d20c6248f2377fc.png

How fast are you sending the requests from EPICS? The USB/Ethernet microcontroller is not powerful enough to handle very fast requests. Try limiting it to 10Hz and see if that helps. Both USB and Ethernet go through the same buffer so you will inevitably get conflicts if you try to use both at the same time.

For debugging you could connect PeWin to the Brick via RS232. The advantage is that although it is slower it goes through a separate buffer so you will be less likely to have conflicts.

Having said all that I have not seen EPICS cause PeWin to crash before.

Does the Ethernet continue to communicate? Are you logging commands send by the Ethernet connection?

Thank you, as Tony suggested, we solved our problem by using the RS232 port.

The ethernet communication continues to work also after PeWin crashes.

Greetings.