Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Communication with external word
Hi all
has anyone tried the zeromq libraries ( http://zeromq.org/ ) on the Power PMAC system?
I will need this solution to implement a socket communication mechanism between my Power PMAC and a global Control System for the entire plant.
Do you think these libraries can be imported on the Pmac IDE and compiled for the PowerPMAC?

thanks
gigi
piefum:

I just downloaded zmq and compiled it on the Power PMAC without issue. Also, the test examples seemed to be running correctly.

However, I am not sure if it is supported through the IDE.
Hi
how did you manage to install the zeromq libraries on the pmac?

I copied all the sources on /tmp, run "./configure" and "make" and everything worked fine; however, I get a write-only error:

Code:
:/tmp/zeromq-4.0.4# make install
Making install in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/zeromq-4.0.4/src'
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/zeromq-4.0.4/src'
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/lib"
/bin/sh ../libtool   --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c   libzmq.la '/usr/local/lib'
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libzmq.so.3.1.0 /usr/local/lib/libzmq.so.3.1.0
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/lib/libzmq.so.3.1.0': Read-only file system
make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/zeromq-4.0.4/src'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/zeromq-4.0.4/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

how can I install the libraries?

thanks
gigi

(07-25-2014, 08:23 AM)shansen Wrote: I just downloaded zmq and compiled it on the Power PMAC without issue. Also, the test examples seemed to be running correctly.

However, I am not sure if it is supported through the IDE.
It looks like your install is failing because the file system is still mounted read-only. To mount it read/write, use:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /

Then, install the library. When you're done, mount the file system as read-only again:

Code:
mount -o remount,ro /
(09-26-2014, 07:10 AM)shansen Wrote: It looks like your install is failing because the file system is still mounted read-only. To mount it read/write, use:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /

Then, install the library. When you're done, mount the file system as read-only again:

Code:
mount -o remount,ro /

it works, thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, the include files zmq.h is not working with the IDE. I can't understand that problem because it should be an ANSI C source code...

However, I read on the forum (here for example http://forums.deltatau.com/showthread.php?tid=910 ) that it is possible to write C / C++ code with external tools, using the deltatau libs for the access to the PMAC variables; or using even C# with the mono libs ( http://forums.deltatau.com/showthread.php?tid=166 ).
I would go then with the mono + C# for my solution.

Do you think I have any chances to make it work?

thanks
gigi
piefum:

I don't know why it isn't working with the IDE, but I suspect there is a way to get it to work. I'm not much help in that department as I haven't used the IDE for several years. Maybe someone else can chime in about how to add a 3rd party library within the IDE.

Regarding your second question, I know it is possible to use Mono to run C# apps on the Power PMAC, but I haven't done so myself.
(09-29-2014, 07:34 AM)shansen Wrote: piefum:

I don't know why it isn't working with the IDE, but I suspect there is a way to get it to work. I'm not much help in that department as I haven't used the IDE for several years. Maybe someone else can chime in about how to add a 3rd party library within the IDE.

Regarding your second question, I know it is possible to use Mono to run C# apps on the Power PMAC, but I haven't done so myself.

Attached Files
.txt   zmq.h.txt (Size: 13.75 KB / Downloads: 16)