OMRON Forums

Problems with ppmacserver shutting down, Windows app cannot communicate.

mshaver

I started the thread below which Delta Tau has not responded to.

http://forums.deltatau.com/showthread.php?tid=1626

ppmacserver is shutting down. When it does, my customer's windows app written using the Delta Tau Dot-Net communications library, is unable to communicate with the PPMAC until the PPMAC has power cycled which restarts ppmacserver.

Obviously the IDE does not use ppmacserver because it continues to communicate fine.

I don't know whether ppmacserver shutting down is the root cause of my customer's windows app losing communications or if it is a symptom of something the customer's app is doing causing ppmacserver to shut down.

I need the delta tau guys to tell me what ppmacserver is, what can cause it to shut down, could the external Windows app be doing anything to cause it to shut down, etc. and help me get to the bottom of this.

What is ppmacserver? Is it a communications server put there for the Dot-Net communications library to access? Apparently the Dot-Net communications library is not using gpascii.

In any case, I need some help asap please.

Thanks;

M Shaver

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started the thread below which Delta Tau has not responded to.

http://forums.deltatau.com/showthread.php?tid=1626

ppmacserver is shutting down. When it does, my customer's windows app written using the Delta Tau Dot-Net communications library, is unable to communicate with the PPMAC until the PPMAC has power cycled which restarts ppmacserver.

Obviously the IDE does not use ppmacserver because it continues to communicate fine.

I don't know whether ppmacserver shutting down is the root cause of my customer's windows app losing communications or if it is a symptom of something the customer's app is doing causing ppmacserver to shut down.

I need the delta tau guys to tell me what ppmacserver is, what can cause it to shut down, could the external Windows app be doing anything to cause it to shut down, etc. and help me get to the bottom of this.

What is ppmacserver? Is it a communications server put there for the Dot-Net communications library to access? Apparently the Dot-Net communications library is not using gpascii.

In any case, I need some help asap please.

Thanks;

M Shaver

I wrote similar response to your this post:

http://forums.deltatau.com/showthread.php?tid=1631&pid=6704#pid6704

Let me clarify few things before we jump to conclusion.

1. The IDE uses the same communication Library.

2. You see the ppmacserver process running on PowerPMAC but none of the communication uses the sever. The communication is based on SSH server and not the ppmacserver. You can check this by running the Demo applicationthat comes with library and then kill the ppmacserver from PowerPMAC. You will find that the application works just fine.

Thanks,

Atul

Customer who wrote the Windows app is on site today and confirms that he was, in fact, using ppmacserver all along until very recently and that the version of his app that I was using until yesterday was based on ppmacserver. He recently switched to SSH and I now have a copy using this communication. We hope this cures the problem. Do we have a reason to be optimistic?

Knowing what we now know, it seems pretty clear that an application that uses ppmacserver is going to have trouble when ppmacserver shuts down.

Now that we've confirmed that the problem, did, in fact, involve the use of ppmacserver and that we've switched to SSH, do we have a reason to be optimistic that this will solve the problem? Were/are there known problems with ppmacserver shutting down that would explain this?