OMRON Forums

UMAC suddenly stopped working

piefum

Hi All I have an old (3 years) UMAC @ 80MHz, that suddely stopped working. Before Christmas vacation everything was working good. At return from holidays, I powered on the UMAC and the communication was completely broken. Usually I command the UMAC via ethernet, but at power on the leds on the RJ45 socket are not blinking when the cable is plugged. I tried then to change IP address via USB, but even the USB connection is not working: when I connect the umac the pc says that the USB hardware connected is not recognized. I tried anyway to change IP address via ethusbconfigure software, but without success (it can't communicate with the UMAC). I tried the following, without success: - replace all the hardware (cable, switch, ...) - replace host PC - insert the UMAC in another rack, with working backplane and working power supply - hard reset (E3 pin) The watchdog LED on the UMAC is always off. Any ideas? Could it be that it is broken the chip that controls the ethernet and usb communication (it seems that this is a single chip that holds both the links). thanks gigi

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, With both USB and Enet out it sounds like a voltage spike or surge has damaged the communication section on your UMAC. I don't think there is anyway to fix this in the field. You will need to contact your Delta Tau Distributor and get this sent to factory for repair. Where are you located ? Is this a older CPU with the USB/Ethernet on a separate daughter board on side of main cpu board ? Do you have a spare UMAC cpu to use while it is being repaired ? I'm located in Raleigh NC and work for Delta Tau. Feel free to call or email me if you wish 919.374.3002 mesposito@deltatau.com Regards, Mike Esposito

[quote='Unit101' pid='284' dateline='1263389951'] With both USB and Enet out it sounds like a voltage spike or surge has damaged the communication section on your UMAC. [/quote] I thought the same... the UMAC is 4 years old, it has the ethernet and usb on board and I think these two connection are controlled by the same chip (the cpu board shows a chip with a deltatau label "eth usb"...) [quote='Unit101' pid='284' dateline='1263389951'] I don't think there is anyway to fix this in the field. You will need to contact your Delta Tau Distributor and get this sent to factory for repair. Where are you located ? [/quote] I'm in Italy, I'm in contact with both out local vendor (Triveneta Engineering) and Delta Tau in Switzerland. I can use another UMAC that I have here in house, hoping that the repairing will not take too much... many thanks for your kind help gigi

Delta Tau Forum, We are having a similar problem with one of our UMAC CPU Boards (Assy: 603766-102). We can communicate with the board using RS232 communication, but neither the USB nor the Ethernet port will work. When we plug the CPU into the USB port on our computer it is recognized properly, but it will not communicate. We tried running the USB Configuration utility, but the program hangs just before finishing the "Load Boot" task. Is there anything else we can try, or does it sound like our ETHUSB chip is damaged? Thanks, Matthew Dean Perry Automation

[quote='MatthewDean' pid='293' dateline='1264101272'] Delta Tau Forum, We are having a similar problem with one of our UMAC CPU Boards (Assy: 603766-102). We can communicate with the board using RS232 communication, but neither the USB nor the Ethernet port will work. When we plug the CPU into the USB port on our computer it is recognized properly, but it will not communicate. We tried running the USB Configuration utility, but the program hangs just before finishing the "Load Boot" task. Is there anything else we can try, or does it sound like our ETHUSB chip is damaged? Thanks, Matthew Dean Perry Automation [/quote] Matthew, Please see this post: [url=http://forums.deltatau.com/showthread.php?tid=63]How to reload the USB & Ethernet firmware[/url] If this doesn't work, then it means your communication chip is most probably damaged and repair is required.