OMRON Forums

EnDat reset

piefum

Hi All I'm using a GeoMacro with Endat 2.1 encoder (Heidenhain EQN 425). I use the digital absolute data for the initial position and then the incremental sin tracks for the normal motion. Some weeks ago I expected one problem with my actuator prototype: I gave a spark to the encoder 5V line (the 5V terminal broke and then touched the metallic body of the encoder) and then the encoder stopped working. The digital data that I can get was all 0 and one bit 1. This is an error word that the Heidenhain encoder returns, and in particular the meaning of my error bit was an overcurrent on the 5V line. To reset the error, I disconnected the encoder from the GeoMacro and connected it in the heidenhain board in my computer and reset it sending an "endat command" to the encoder. It is possible to reset the heidenhain encoder using the GeoMacro? In my application the encoder is mounted on an actuator that service a telescope completely remote controlled, and the encoder cable is not accessible nor the actuator can be easily dismounted. thanks ciao gigi

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GiGi, Unfortunately Geo MACRO drives don't support the encoder reset feature and as you have mentioned any error which requires a reset command, can not be cleared through the Geo MACRO drive. Sorry for the inconvenience but the approach you mentioned is the best way of clearing the error at the moment. We are aware of this short coming and in the future products, including next generation of Geo MACRO drives, this issue will be resolved so we can support mostly used EnDat commands for both EnDat 2.1 and EnDat 2.2 including Reset command.