OMRON Forums

6 Motors all the same but one is acting odd.

WuBill

I have 6 AC Motors controlled by a geobrick all the motors are the same. This exact same setup has been used on a previous job and all the motors work fine. Today I was running all the motors to their zero position and applying the brake and turning them back off. When I started with the 5th motor i noticed a clicking sound that increased with speed. After checking the motor mechanically I believe it maybe electrically based. How would you go about checking this. All motors were phased and tuned with the same method and parameters respectively.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 6 AC Motors controlled by a geobrick all the motors are the same. This exact same setup has been used on a previous job and all the motors work fine. Today I was running all the motors to their zero position and applying the brake and turning them back off. When I started with the 5th motor i noticed a clicking sound that increased with speed. After checking the motor mechanically I believe it maybe electrically based. How would you go about checking this. All motors were phased and tuned with the same method and parameters respectively.

did you try to swap the motors? Does the problem follow the driver's channel or the motor?

The issue follows the motor though different channels and as of this morning different tuning setups. I'm going to continue trying some new things and get in touch with the motor reps.

Once I had a similar issue; my problem was a bad cable shielding: everything seemed fine if measured with the ohm-meter, but one motor was behaving differently from the others (that were exactly the same).

Then, I changed cable and connector for that motor (without removing it from the actuator) and the problem disappeared.

What motors are these? If they have a brake, I would suspect that as a source of the noise. I have had Parker servo motors with brakes make clanging sounds that Parker claimed was normal. I have also heard clicks from motors using trapezoidal commutation, so I wouldn't rule out something electrical.

What motors are these? If they have a brake, I would suspect that as a source of the noise. I have had Parker servo motors with brakes make clanging sounds that Parker claimed was normal. I have also heard clicks from motors using trapezoidal commutation, so I wouldn't rule out something electrical.

Yes, these motors have a brake. As you approach full speed the noise is much more noticeable. Also when moving the motors by hand with the geobrick disconnected there seems to be more noticeable trouble turning the shaft every 90 degrees or so. The motor is a four poles, 220V AC induction servo with Endat 2.1 Absolute encoders. Through tuning I have reduced the noise and it will follow perfectly a step move,sin wave move, and trapezoidal move. I am going back to the motor manufacture again with the noise it is making and see if I can get more from them or see if the brake could be causing, the noise. Thanks for the help.