OMRON Forums

Any Differences in Linux Distro with Etherlite?

KEJR

Hello,

We will be receiving our first Etherlite PPMAC shortly and I'm wondering if there are any software changes to the debian linux filesystem/distribution (other than the linux kernel and PPMAC libraries[aka firmware]). From what I understand the boards in the Etherlite are the same as what is available for the UMAC CPU with the builtin EtherCAT/MACRO so this discussion should apply to that product as well.

We have a company standard disk image that we maintain for our vanilla (non-ethercat) UMAC PPMAC CPU. If possible I would like to update this image to also run the etherlite so that we get all of our linux customizations for both the Etherlite and the UMAC systems (With and without MACRO/EtherCAT).

Is it possible to take the Etherlite (with MACRO and Ethercat) and:

- Save the factory image (for backup purposes)

- Restore our company standard image to the Etherlite.

- Upgrade both the linux kernel and the PowerPMAC "firmware".

- Backup this new disk image for use on all PPMAC systems?

This would be ideal since we can maintain one disk image and run on all systems.

Thanks,

KEJR

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used several Etherlites over the past few months, and the software is identical to a UMAC-style PPMAC (the only difference in hardware is the possible Ethercat add-on). The firmware seems to figure out what hardware platform it is on and adapt (e.g. MACRO vs no-MACRO, Ethercat vs no-Ethercat).

I have used several Etherlites over the past few months, and the software is identical to a UMAC-style PPMAC (the only difference in hardware is the possible Ethercat add-on). The firmware seems to figure out what hardware platform it is on and adapt (e.g. MACRO vs no-MACRO, Ethercat vs no-Ethercat).

This sounds good. I will be finding out shortly if there are any issues. Have you tried restoring software to the Etherlite [from a vanilla UMAC product], and do you have both Macro and EtherCat options on your etherlite?

Thank you,

KEJR

Yes, I have restored factory (vanilla) images and custom images to Etherlite Power PMACs and everything works correctly. I have not used the Ethercat Power PMAC, but I have noticed that Ethercat firmware is present in the factory image.

Extrapolating from the fact that the Power PMAC firmware can detect MACRO hardware and initialize it appropriately, I would assume that the same holds true for Ethercat (e.g. if you buy a PPMAC with Ethercat, the factory firmware will recognize this and initialize the Ethercat firmware). From what I understand, the same firmware works on all flavors of Power PMAC.