OMRON Forums

problems accessing "Motor[1].AmpEna" from background C program

vanandel

I have a background C program, capp1.c, that needs to report motor status. This application worked under earlier versions of PowerPMAC firmware, but now I've upgraded to 1.5.8.0 and the 8/9/2012, 1.5.0.21 IDE.

I get a pointer to the shared memory:

pSHM= GetSharedMemPtr();

and use this pointer to query the motor state:

if(pSHM->Motor[motor_number].AmpEna) ms |= MS_AMP_ENA;

The IDE status window shows motor '1' has "Amp Enabled". My C program reports that motor '1' does NOT have the AmpEna bit set.

When I search for RtGpShm.h, I find two versions under the IDE:

usr/local/dtlibs/rtpmac/RtGpShm.h

AND

usr/local/ppmaclibs/rtpmac/RtGpShm.h

Questions:

1) Why are there two different copies of this include file with different contents? (This was the first installation of the Power PMAC IDE on this PC .) One copy has "#ifdef bigendian" and has two different definitions of bit fields for big-endian vs little-endian -- which is the correct version?

2) How can I verify that my C program (which uses the structure definitions in RtGPShm.h) is using an offset in shared memory that matches the offset of Motor[1].AmpEna, as seen from the IDE? That is, how can I determine the offset of the Motor[1].AmpEna byte from the start of shared memory?

Thanks for your assistance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a background C program, capp1.c, that needs to report motor status. This application worked under earlier versions of PowerPMAC firmware, but now I've upgraded to 1.5.8.0 and the 8/9/2012, 1.5.0.21 IDE.

pSHM= GetSharedMemPtr();

The IDE status window shows motor '1' has "Amp Enabled". My C program reports that motor '1' does NOT have the AmpEna bit set.

AND

Questions:

1) Why are there two different copies of this include file with different contents? (This was the first installation of the Power PMAC IDE on this PC .) One copy has "#ifdef bigendian" and has two different definitions of bit fields for big-endian vs little-endian -- which is the correct version?

2) How can I verify that my C program (which uses the structure definitions in RtGPShm.h) is using an offset in shared memory that matches the offset of Motor[1].AmpEna, as seen from the IDE? That is, how can I determine the offset of the Motor[1].AmpEna byte from the start of shared memory?

Hi,

IDE always uploads the Lib from PowerPMAC on connection.

Did you compile your project code after you updated the FW and IDE?

Thanks,

Atul

Bit numbers are given in “Intel” (little-endian) style, where the value of Bit n in the word is 2n. All bit numbers are for a full 32-bit word, even if the hardware uses less than 32 bits. Why there are two versions I am not sure but I will look into this in more detail.

The Power PMAC Software Reference Manual has a memory map listing that provides the offset from the start of I/O memory. Note The ASIC data structures are referenced to a different base address, piom instead of pshm.

pSHM= GetSharedMemPtr();

AND

Questions:

Hi,

Thanks,

Atul

Yes, I cleaned the project and compiled it after updating the FW and IDE. Does the IDE upload the include file, or just the library?

pSHM= GetSharedMemPtr();

AND

Questions:

Hi,

Thanks,

Atul

Yes, I cleaned the project and compiled it after updating the FW and IDE. Does the IDE upload the include file, or just the library?

IDE always upload the Libraries and not the included files. IDE compares the version of the libraries and always makes sure it is new.

Thanks,

Atul

Bit numbers are given in “Intel” (little-endian) style, where the value of Bit n in the word is 2n. All bit numbers are for a full 32-bit word, even if the hardware uses less than 32 bits. Why there are two versions I am not sure but I will look into this in more detail.

The Power PMAC Software Reference Manual has a memory map listing that provides the offset from the start of I/O memory. Note The ASIC data structures are referenced to a different base address, piom instead of pshm.

I'm reading the August 2012 version of the Power PMAC Software Reference Manual, and can't find a memory map that lists the offset of Motor[1].Control[0] in shared memory. (Motor[1].Control[] is in a union with the Motor[1].AmpEn bit field).

Please give me a page number in this 1043 page document!

The motor structures are only found in shared memory - as you are currently doing. I/O hardware is in piom memory. See "POWER PMAC I/O ADDRESS OFFSETS" starting on page 1006.

OK - for this issue, I don't care about piom memory, I only care about shared memory.

As I said in my initial forum post, my C program, the IDE terminal, and the IDE motor status window don't agree on what's in the motor structures in shared memory. The IDE motor status window shows motor '1' has "Amp Enabled", the IDE terminal interface to the PowerPMAC shows:

Motor[1].AmpEna = 1

however when my C program uses shared memory:

if(pSHM->Motor[1].AmpEna)

it DOES NOT show that the Amp Enabled bit is true.

How do I determine why the C program doesn't correctly reference the correct bit? If I could determine the offset in shared memory the terminal interface uses for 'Motor[1].AmpEna , I could compare this to the offset my C program is using in shared memory.

Again - this program used to work, and I've recompiled the program for the new libraries and IDE.

Can you make sure you don't have multiple copies of your app on the system.

Maybe you are running a copy of your app that was built for the last version of firmware. You can check with the command

system find / -name NameofYourApp.out

Also the .h files that you should be compiling with are on the powerpmac ftp site. ftp://192.168.0.200/libppmac

These are automatically uploaded to

C:\Program Files\Delta Tau Data Systems, Inc.\2.0\Power PMAC Suite\powerpc-460-linux-gnu\usr\local\dtlibs

by the IDE. If for some reason they are different that could be your problem.

The motor structures are only found in shared memory - as you are currently doing. I/O hardware is in piom memory. See "POWER PMAC I/O ADDRESS OFFSETS" starting on page 1006.

OK - for this issue, I don't care about piom memory, I only care about shared memory.

As I said in my initial forum post, my C program, the IDE terminal, and the IDE motor status window don't agree on what's in the motor structures in shared memory. The IDE motor status window shows motor '1' has "Amp Enabled", the IDE terminal interface to the PowerPMAC shows:

Motor[1].AmpEna = 1

How do I determine why the C program doesn't correctly reference the correct bit? If I could determine the offset in shared memory the terminal interface uses for 'Motor[1].AmpEna , I could compare this to the offset my C program is using in shared memory.

Again - this program used to work, and I've recompiled the program for the new libraries and IDE.

I removed all the old copies of my app, and renamed

, so it wouldn't be confused with the correct version:

After rebuilding my application, my application works as expected.

It would be helpful if DeltaTau only shipped one copy of RtGpShm.h with the IDE. I was using a fresh install of the IDE, and somehow ended up with different versions:

usr/local/ppmaclibs/rtpmac/RtGpShm.h [A bogus version]

usr/local/dtlibs/rtpmac/RtGpShm.h [the correct version]

Can you make sure you don't have multiple copies of your app on the system.

Maybe you are running a copy of your app that was built for the last version of firmware. You can check with the command

system find / -name NameofYourApp.out

Also the .h files that you should be compiling with are on the powerpmac ftp site. ftp://192.168.0.200/libppmac

These are automatically uploaded to

C:\Program Files\Delta Tau Data Systems, Inc.\2.0\Power PMAC Suite\powerpc-460-linux-gnu\usr\local\dtlibs

by the IDE. If for some reason they are different that could be your problem.

Motor[1].AmpEna = 1