OMRON Forums

Setting up Brick Controller for UDP communication

pwhiteis

Hello,

I am writing an application that communicates with the brick using UDP datagrams. The application sends a command and waits for a reply, but always times out. When I setup the socket to use TCP I always get the reply.

Is the UDP protocol always enabled (assuming the IP address is setup correctly), or is this protocol mutually exclusive from TCP?

I have also tried switching between TCP and UDP using the 100 Base T setup utility, but the utility always seems to revert back to TCP. Is the protocol selection stored in EEPROM? I cannot find anything in the Brick Controller Users Manual which speaks to protocol selection.

Thanks,

-Pete-

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UDP protocol must be enabled with the “ETHUSBConfigure.EXE” ("Configure USB 2.0" or "Configure Ethernet 100 BaseT" in the common directory) program though a USB connection – there is a radio button to enable this. Note that you must hold in the "BOOT" switch during the enable process untill the application is closed.

Thanks .. that did the trick. However, the PMAC executive won't talk with the brick any longer. Does it auto-detect the protocol or do I need to tell it which one I'm using?

UDP protocol must be enabled with the “ETHUSBConfigure.EXE” ("Configure USB 2.0" or "Configure Ethernet 100 BaseT" in the common directory) program though a USB connection – there is a radio button to enable this. Note that you must hold in the "BOOT" switch during the enable process untill the application is closed.

Thanks Steve.

Under "General Setup" in PEWin, I do not see a way to communicate USB. It only seems to allow one to insert a device that communicates over Ethernet or standard serial port.

-Pete-

Our Ethernet driver does not support UDP mode. You must manually switch each time you wish to change there is no auto-detect. You can however communicate over USB while in UDP mode.