OMRON Forums

Where to start

PEERPSI

I have an Advantage 900 system with Turbo PMAC-2 Clipper. I've built CNC retrofit systems before but this one doesn't seem to have any sort of guide as to where to start. There seems to be three different software packages for configuration, one for the PMAC, one for the NC and then the NC/CNC software itself.

Any advice or guides available would be very helpful. My system consists of scales for the linear motors, x and z. A spindle with traditional encoder. Nothing complicated at all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some of the manuals and other resources to get you started:

Turbo Clipper Manual

Turbo PMAC User Manual

Turbo PMAC Software Reference Manual

Advantage 900 Manuals:

Pendant

PMAC NC Pro2 Software

Turbo PMAC Training Slides

If you have additional questions, please post them, or contact Technical Support at support@deltatau.com, or 818-717-5656, 8 am to 5 pm PST.

Turbo Clipper Manual

Turbo PMAC User Manual

Advantage 900 Manuals:

Pendant

PMAC NC Pro2 Software

If you have additional questions, please post them, or contact Technical Support at support@deltatau.com, or 818-717-5656, 8 am to 5 pm PST.

I have all the manuals but there is so much information in them and no real guide as to start here with this program or this step.

It is always recommended you attend the basic PMAC training course followed by the PMAC-NC training course before attempting an NC integration. A quick summary of the steps:

Step 1 - Setup of the PMAC controller. All of the following should be configured before moving on to any CNC setup:

- Jog all motors in closed loop (directions verified)

- Determine axis scaling (counts/unit)

- Home all motors successfully

- Determine all basic velocity/acceleration constraints of the system

Step 2 – Use NC Setup program to create initial CNC programs and PLC’s.

Step 3 – Modify the automatically created programs and PLC’s to suit your specific application.

Turbo Clipper Manual

Turbo PMAC User Manual

Advantage 900 Manuals:

Pendant

PMAC NC Pro2 Software

I have all the manuals but there is so much information in them and no real guide as to start here with this program or this step.

I have an Advantage 900 system with Turbo PMAC-2 Clipper. I've built CNC retrofit systems before but this one doesn't seem to have any sort of guide as to where to start. There seems to be three different software packages for configuration, one for the PMAC, one for the NC and then the NC/CNC software itself.

Any advice or guides available would be very helpful. My system consists of scales for the linear motors, x and z. A spindle with traditional encoder. Nothing complicated at all.

This is very basic

Clipper Quick Start Guide - Proposed.pdf

It sounds like you are doing a lathe, or something like a lathe. I have done many lathes, albeit not with the clipper. Your first experience will be frustrating, but the final result will be really good. Here is what I would do:

I would consider going to training at Delta Tau if you really want to learn this stuff and have no Delta Tau experience. The training will mostly serve as an introduction and a forum for asking some high-level questions. If you simply want a working machine and don't care about learning it, hire a CNC Integration consultant, as this is not a trivial project. The people listed on the DT site are generally very good.

That said, here are the steps:

1. Make sure that you have all of the correct Delta Tau interface accessory hardware. People on this forum could help if you told us exactly what type of signal your amplifiers expect (U/V sinusoidal, for example? plus enable and fault, etc are there Hall signals for commution), exactly what type of signal your scales provdide (quadrature or sin / cos, for example), and any other critical signals (limit switches, what kind of signal). You need to make sure you have all the hardware you need. If you can't determine this information, you will likely not be successful.

2. Wire your machine using guidance from the the Clipper manual and the accessory hardware manuals and good engineering judgement. If you don't have adequate experience here, you will need professional help, or you won't be successful. Beware especially of poorly grounded, noisy signals. It will wreak havoc when you get to the NC integration part.

3. Set the jumpers for the Clipper per the manuals and install in the host PC. Install PEWIN32 or equivalent. Establish communications.

4. Configure each motor by setting the I variables in the controller and get to the point where the limit switches work, the amps can be enabled, and you can jog the motors. As they are linear motors you will have to learn about motor phasing and phase finding. You will have to learn how axis homing works. You will have to learn about how to scale an axis and set up a coordinate system (ultimately this will be X and Z). Set safety limits for following error, velocity, accel. Don't bother to think about the NC side until this is done. You will be debugging your wiring most likely during this phase. Save your configuration file often. Once again, DON'T BOTHER TO PROCEED UNTIL THIS PART IS MASTERED

5. Make a block diagram of everything your CNC machine should have, i.e. control panel, handwheel, spindle, coolant system.

6. Install the NC software as a Lathe and go through the configuration and download the required lathe.g and PLC programs (i.e. panel, handwheel, homing, it depends on your configuration). This will be hard to learn on your own, but it can be done. Start with minimal functionality and add features according to your block diagram. Don't try to make everything work at once. The best way is to take the supplied PLC programs and modify them only as necessary. Backup the registry and configuration file often.

Thanks for the advice so far. My system includes a Turbo PMAC Clipper, stand alone not PC card. My accessory boards are 8ES and 51S. It is a lathe and I'm using Sony B78 laser scales with a BD95-T32 preamp that produces 1vpp. Sunx NPN inductive proximity sensors for limits, they were already on the lathe. I have several years experience with Delta Tau PMAC's as the majority of our lathes in this particular department use them for NC control. I've also built several machines previous to this project using CNC systems from a couple of different manufacturers. Unfortunately getting to go on a factory course isn't an option for me. I will however follow the training material as provided in the link. Right now my concern is that when I use the Turbo PMAC setup application it is asking for my attached accessories. I'm not finding either of them as an option. I also understand there is a certain way they must be stacked. I have the 8ES directly ontop of the PMAC with the interpolar on top of it. I understand that with the high resolution 51S it is to be set up in the encoder tables rather then as an accessory.

My other question that I haven't been able to find a quick answer as to where to pick up the E-stop loop that is built into the Advantage 900. I've wired in a relay that will control a contactor feeding power to the amplifiers for my axis and spindle.

As for how my I/O is wired, I'm using Omega I/O converters to isolate the loads/signals from the PMAC card. They are very flexible and allow for a wide range of voltages on either side. To connect everything I'm using Phoenix cables and break out modules. They have connections for the 5 volts for instance. This should come from the PMAC card via the connectors or does it need to be seperately connected direct from the power supply. When I power up the PMAC and issue a reset from PEWIN the card responds but if I view the connectors the icons for voltage are not lit as I would expect.

Unfortunately, I am not a Clipper guy, so I don't know about issues daisy chaining the 8Es and 51s, but I will say that if you follow the information in the 51 documentation on encoder setup that it works.

Regarding +5VDC power for your I/O, I am a fan of using a separate, isolated supply. The PMAC can be jumpered for separate supply for the I/O The signals themselves should change state if you bring them to ground. You can test them by shorting the signals to ground and watching in PEWIN. Once you see that the card side is working, you can trace your signal path back.

Try reading examples of the E-stop plc. There are a number of ways to integrate this.

If it were me I would get the discrete I/O working at the PMAC level, then the encoders, then the amp control signals and DAC's, then worry about the e-stop integration. In the meantime, your hardware relay kill of the amps will provide safety. It sounds like you and I work on the same types of things. Feel free to email me if you would like to keep a dialog going.

Note that the Turbo PMAC setup software will not setup the ACC-51S. The setup program should be set to see this as a Turbo PMAC2 with the DAC interface option and quadrature encoders. Then use the Executives Encoder Conversion Table editor after using the setup program to establish the high resolution feedback (per the ACC-51S manual) and then retune the motors with the higher resolution feedback.

At this point use the NCSetup program (AUTOPILOT UTILITY) to generate the proper PLCs, Motion programs and registry entries to configure your paticular machine (see VINCEB's post).

See these two drawing for suggestions of how to interface your Estop chain to the Adv900 unit:

ftp://support.deltatau.com/DT-USA/NC%205.x/PMAC-NC%20Pro2%20Documentation/900%20Relay%20Board%20Wiring%20Diagrams/900%20Relay_Cabled%20Model%20(1).pdf

ftp://support.deltatau.com/DT-USA/NC%205.x/PMAC-NC%20Pro2%20Documentation/900%20Relay%20Board%20Wiring%20Diagrams/900%20Relay_Title%20Model%20(1).pdf

Thanks for the advice so far. My system includes a Turbo PMAC Clipper, stand alone not PC card. My accessory boards are 8ES and 51S. It is a lathe and I'm using Sony B78 laser scales with a BD95-T32 preamp that produces 1vpp. Sunx NPN inductive proximity sensors for limits, they were already on the lathe. I have several years experience with Delta Tau PMAC's as the majority of our lathes in this particular department use them for NC control. I've also built several machines previous to this project using CNC systems from a couple of different manufacturers. Unfortunately getting to go on a factory course isn't an option for me. I will however follow the training material as provided in the link. Right now my concern is that when I use the Turbo PMAC setup application it is asking for my attached accessories. I'm not finding either of them as an option. I also understand there is a certain way they must be stacked. I have the 8ES directly ontop of the PMAC with the interpolar on top of it. I understand that with the high resolution 51S it is to be set up in the encoder tables rather then as an accessory.

My other question that I haven't been able to find a quick answer as to where to pick up the E-stop loop that is built into the Advantage 900. I've wired in a relay that will control a contactor feeding power to the amplifiers for my axis and spindle.

As for how my I/O is wired, I'm using Omega I/O converters to isolate the loads/signals from the PMAC card. They are very flexible and allow for a wide range of voltages on either side. To connect everything I'm using Phoenix cables and break out modules. They have connections for the 5 volts for instance. This should come from the PMAC card via the connectors or does it need to be seperately connected direct from the power supply. When I power up the PMAC and issue a reset from PEWIN the card responds but if I view the connectors the icons for voltage are not lit as I would expect.

Thanks for the advice so far. My system includes a Turbo PMAC Clipper, stand alone not PC card. My accessory boards are 8ES and 51S. It is a lathe and I'm using Sony B78 laser scales with a BD95-T32 preamp that produces 1vpp....

The BD95s are kind of pricy for what they do. You should look at:

http://www.oztekcorp.com/products/interpolators-and-accessories/ea100-encoder-adapter/

Sony Scales, interpolated to 34 pm, Pmac, Sunx switches... Sounds familiar

Amplifier selection for this will be critical for this resolution: Low Noise, zero crossover distortion is a must.

Thanks for the advice so far. My system includes a Turbo PMAC Clipper, stand alone not PC card. My accessory boards are 8ES and 51S. It is a lathe and I'm using Sony B78 laser scales with a BD95-T32 preamp that produces 1vpp....

The BD95s are kind of pricy for what they do. You should look at:

http://www.oztekcorp.com/products/interpolators-and-accessories/ea100-encoder-adapter/

Sony Scales, interpolated to 34 pm, Pmac, Sunx switches... Sounds familiar

Amplifier selection for this will be critical for this resolution: Low Noise, zero crossover distortion is a must.

I agree with you Mr. Lowe, amplifier performance (especially crossover performance) is a limiting factor these days. What amplifiers and power supplies can you recommend?

See these two drawing for suggestions of how to interface your Estop chain to the Adv900 unit:

ftp://support.deltatau.com/DT-USA/NC%205.x/PMAC-NC%20Pro2%20Documentation/900%20Relay%20Board%20Wiring%20Diagrams/900%20Relay_Cabled%20Model%20(1).pdf

ftp://support.deltatau.com/DT-USA/NC%205.x/PMAC-NC%20Pro2%20Documentation/900%20Relay%20Board%20Wiring%20Diagrams/900%20Relay_Title%20Model%20(1).pdf

Thanks for this. I was able to get my E-stop loop sorted this morning as a result. I'm hoping to have limits, halls and feedback sorted by the end of the day. Moving axis by Monday!

The linear motors and drives come from Aerotech, they are used on other machines we have here with success.

The linear motors and drives come from Aerotech, they are used on other machines we have here with success.

Aerotech linears? BAL or BL 10-40? Those are good drives. In recent years they have been paying a lot of attention to biasing them for true AB operation. The bandwidth is not the greatest (1KHz), but workable and it's certainly an order of magnitude greater than the position bandwidth will be.

Also, pay close attention to your encoder signal levels. Saturation is much more harmful than a little S/N degradation that comes from a low amplitude.

Aerotech linears? BAL or BL 10-40? Those are good drives. In recent years they have been paying a lot of attention to biasing them for true AB operation. The bandwidth is not the greatest (1KHz), but workable and it's certainly an order of magnitude greater than the position bandwidth will be.

Also, pay close attention to your encoder signal levels. Saturation is much more harmful than a little S/N degradation that comes from a low amplitude.

BL 10-40. I was actually considering buying their NC system complete but they couldn't put together a respectable pendant or jog station.

Finally put power to it today. Nothing worked save for the E-stop loop and my hydrostatic servo system. I love a challenge! I suspect the axis feedback failure is due to jumper settings, external versus internally powered. I/O I'm not sure yet. My Omega modules are showing triggered but the connector view shows nothing. One step at a time!

Finally put power to it today. Nothing worked save for the E-stop loop and my hydrostatic servo system. I love a challenge! I suspect the axis feedback failure is due to jumper settings, external versus internally powered. I/O I'm not sure yet. My Omega modules are showing triggered but the connector view shows nothing. One step at a time!

E-Stop is an excellent first step!

When Delta Tau first set up the NC system they defined a whole new set of M variables, ignoring the suggested m variables in their manuals. For my work I have created an offset set of the general motor M variables starting at M1100. This allows most of the examples in the manuals to be used with only slight modification.

My order of testing would be to first verify feedback.

setup a watch window to look at the AqB counter of the ACC 51 and make sure it is getting ttl counts.

Add watch entries for the ADC channels of the 51 and see if sufficient amplitude analog signals are coming.

Next look at the flag inputs to verify your halls and limit/home switches.

Verify the encoder conversion table by observing the position display window.

Verify the phase counter is counting.

Open loop enable the drives and six step the motor verifying phasing direction and amplifier function.

Find a copy of the Hall Effect Phasing app note and follow it's procedure for determining the initial hall angle.

Some preliminary gains:

Ix08,Ix09=1

Ix30=100000

Ix31=2000

ix32=2005

ix33=50000

E-Stop is an excellent first step!

When Delta Tau first set up the NC system they defined a whole new set of M variables, ignoring the suggested m variables in their manuals. For my work I have created an offset set of the general motor M variables starting at M1100. This allows most of the examples in the manuals to be used with only slight modification.

My order of testing would be to first verify feedback.

setup a watch window to look at the AqB counter of the ACC 51 and make sure it is getting ttl counts.

Add watch entries for the ADC channels of the 51 and see if sufficient amplitude analog signals are coming.

Next look at the flag inputs to verify your halls and limit/home switches.

Verify the encoder conversion table by observing the position display window.

Verify the phase counter is counting.

Open loop enable the drives and six step the motor verifying phasing direction and amplifier function.

Find a copy of the Hall Effect Phasing app note and follow it's procedure for determining the initial hall angle.

Some preliminary gains:

Ix08,Ix09=1

Ix30=100000

Ix31=2000

ix32=2005

ix33=50000

I've been trying to verify my axis limit switches, they work to the Omega convertors I'm using to isolate them from the card. My Sunx LS work on 12 volts and I understand the card expects 0-5. I expected to be able to see them as well as the halls in the View Connector window but it would appear they are not available there. I confirmed 5 VDC to my scale preamps from the 51S board, previously I confirmed sufficient amplitude at the preamp from the scales, however I'm not seeing any counts in the position screen. I considered using the watch screen but I'm not certain what address I should be looking at. I'd love to have the time to read the manuals cover to cover and figure it all out for myself but too many outside distractions. Every time I sit down to troubleshoot another fire breaks out some where else! However, today marks the start of a new week!

Encoder Addresses for ACC-51S

1 $C000 3 $C010 5 $C020 7 $C030

2 $C008 4 $C018 6 $C028 8 $C038

Channels 1 – 4 of the ACC-51S correspond to PMAC channels 1 – 4 if the ACC-51S is connected to the main PMAC2A-PC/104 board; channels 1 – 4 of the ACC-51S correspond to PMAC channels 5 – 8 if the ACC-51S is connected to the ACC-1P board.

ADC Addresses for ACC-51S

1 $FFC0 3 $FFC4 5 $FFC8 7 $FFCC

2 $FFC2 4 $FFC6 6 $FFCA 8 $FFCE

ACC-51S channels 1 – 4 become PMAC channels 1 – 4 if ACC-51S jumper E1 connects pins 2 and 3. ACC-51S channels 1 – 4 become PMAC channels 5 – 8 if ACC 51S jumper E1 connects pins 1 and 2.

I have my 8ES stacked ontop of the Clipper then the 51S. Does this then mean that my PMAC channels become 5-8? My jumper is still set to 2-3 as per factory default.

To view the values in a watch window I would select $FFCO for my first channel analog level and $C000 for my counts?

Okay limit switch variables found and limits confirmed. After talking to Steve M. I determined my cards where not stacked correctly and I needed to install the ribbon cable from the CPU to ACC-51S. Still no feedback though.

Also where do I look to confirm hall wiring?

Okay, halls confirmed. Turns out the suggested M variables aren't used with the Advantage 900 system and the 900 doesn't map the halls to an M variable. That is now done and they cycle as they should.

I returned my endoder conversion table back to 1/T extension of incremental encoder. Now I have counts. Unfortunately not the high resolution counts I need.

When I select high resolution interpolator PMAC2 style I get no counts.

Some progress is still progress!

So at this point I have limits, halls and feedback. If I can just get the high res feedback we can start moving motors!

Ideas anyone?

You will need to enter the address for the ADCs in the ECT editor as the drop down list does not have these. These are listed in the ACC-51S manual on page 16 (22 electronic). For the first channel (Servo IC 0 at $78000, first entry in the drop down list) this is $78800. Then set I103 and I104 to the "Processed Data Address" shown.

Thanks for that Steve. After our conversation I did read closer the 51S manual and made the appropriate entries manually. However after a $$$*** reset all returned back to what it originally was. I expect that there is some configuration file that is loading everything and I'll need to make my changes there. Working on that now.

Good thing is that after our conversation I got counts and I was able to set the direction as well.

I now have high resolution counts. I also now know the difference between $$$*** and $$$.

That said I'm not sure if I'm getting or understanding the number of counts I should be seeing. My scale has a period of 137.9 nanometres.

By my math that means I should have 1mm/.0001379x4096=29702683 or does the position screen show the software counts at 1mm/.0001379x128=928209?

In the NC setup program for counts per unit which would be the correct value?

I now have high resolution counts. I also now know the difference between $$$*** and $$$.

That said I'm not sure if I'm getting or understanding the number of counts I should be seeing. My scale has a period of 137.9 nanometres.

By my math that means I should have 1mm/.0001379x4096=29702683 or does the position screen show the software counts at 1mm/.0001379x128=928209?

In the NC setup program for counts per unit which would be the correct value?

The ACC-51 interpolates your line resolution by 4096x, but the result is right shifted by 5 bits (/32) . Your "counts" /mm should be your line spacing/128. Be aware that Sony scales have a lot of variation in the actual line spacing and will need calibrating. They come with a calibration sheet listing the actual lines/mm, but in use these numbers require come adjustment. In the past we used a Moore step bar to do this, but now use an interferometer.

The ACC-51 interpolates your line resolution by 4096x, but the result is right shifted by 5 bits (/32) . Your "counts" /mm should be your line spacing/128. Be aware that Sony scales have a lot of variation in the actual line spacing and will need calibrating. They come with a calibration sheet listing the actual lines/mm, but in use these numbers require come adjustment. In the past we used a Moore step bar to do this, but now use an interferometer.

So I did a quick check with a gauge block to confirm my counts and it matches. So now I'm onto phasing/tuning the motors. We have movement but I have to get some parameter input data from Aerotech as what I have isn't adding up as far as motor pole spacing. I've also found out that the Turbo PMAC2 setup application will not work because of the inability to deal with the 51S high resolution interpolator. I expect this is also why my open loop move does not work in that application either.

In PMACPro tuning the open loop works, auto tune runs. However, step tests fail once I increase the step size to 1000000 counts. It gives me an FE error. If it wasn't for actual position matching commanded very well in the other step tests I'd suspect wrong direction.

Could my Ixx71 and Ixx70 be wrong? They were set based on the first few steps of the Turbo PMAC setup application.

Ideas anyone?