OMRON Forums

Automatic hostname update at boot time

Augusto

I am using DeltaTau with dualcore ARM processor, FW version: 2.6.0.0, PowerPMAC IDE: 4.4.1.7. I am trying to set the default hostname for each of DeltaTau we have in our installations.

I the previous ones we have (fw 2.5.4.0 and apm866xx processor), we edit the following file:

- /opt/etc/hostname

At the boot time, this file is copied to /etc/hostname and the service hostname.sh get started, updating the DeltaTau hostname.

In the new ARM DeltaTaus, if we edit the same file, it behaves in a different way. At boot time, the file is copied to /etc/hostname, but it looks like the hostname.sh service does not get started. If I manually start it trough ssh command line, the hostname gets updated. As I want to get this process automatically, the only way I got it working for now was to edit the following file:

- /.readonly/etc/hostname

And the service is not needed to start. Is there a way to make the service automatically start at boot time so I don't need to edit the .readonly folder?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the hostname task were continually running, it would set the hostname based on /opt/etc/hostname (after that replaces /etc/hostname which had already been replaced by /.readonly/etc/hostname). We have have disabled it due to a past issue.

Currently the name in /.readonly/hostname "wins" on boot if it is different from the name in /opt/etc/hostname. I would recommend changing both values so a future change or running /etc/init.d/hostname.sh will not change your behavior.