OMRON Forums

Servo Loop closing via EtherCAT

koustubh_h

I've this specific application related query.

I wish to make PowerUMAC as EtherCAT master and ABB e180 drives as the EtherCAT slaves.

The list of EtherCAT devices confirms interface with ABB e180 drives over EtherCAT so that is not a problem.

There is a requirement of absolute encoder fitted on load which i wish to use with EtherCAT protocol.

Now, my basic query is can i close the servo loop with e180 drives and absolute encoders over EtherCAT?

Is there any documentation related to it?

Has anyone done any such application? if yes, is there any application note available?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The drive must be able to support Cyclic Synchronous Torque mode. The rest is part of the basic EtherCAT setup as documented in the IDE manual on the Forum's FileDepot.

"http://forums.deltatau.com/filedepot/download.php?f=Power PMAC/Manuals/Power PMAC IDE.pdf"

Thx for the help.

I am going through the manual and will get back to you if i need any more info.

• 1 month later...

The drive must be able to support Cyclic Synchronous Torque mode. The rest is part of the basic EtherCAT setup as documented in the IDE manual on the Forum's FileDepot.

"http://forums.deltatau.com/filedepot/download.php?f=Power PMAC/Manuals/Power PMAC IDE.pdf"

Dear Sir,

We have successfully configured Ethercat Master Delta tau with the slave drive Motiflex E180. First we properly tuned the motor through ABB drive. After configuring the Ethercat Setup we were able to enable the drive and get position feedback from the motor as well. It is just moving some 10,000 counts after issuing #1out0 command and tripping. But we were not able to JOG the motor. We are getting following errors on Drive software (ABB Mint Work Bench)

1) Over speed trip

2) PDOs not properly mapped

3) Resolver feedback signal lost.

We wish to operate the Motor in Cyclic Synchronous Torque mode as it’s necessary for our application. The XML file of ABB Motiflex E180 has only four PDOs namely-

1) Actual Position

2) Control Word

3) Status word.

4) Target Position.

These are the PDOs needed to operate the drive in Cyclic Synchronous Position mode.

So the Big question is does the ABB Motiflex E180 operate in CST mode? If yes what are the necessary PDOs to operate the Drive-Motor in CST mode on Ethercat ?

We have asked ABB regarding this as well.

Yes, mapping 0x6071 as a PDO will work. However, in order to make it useful, you will need a F/W update from ABB: 5862.0.10 WIP. This will provide a new parameter called Torque Ref Scale in the TorqueControl branch. This will allow you to scale the Motor[x].MaxDac to the maximum torque of the drive.

Yes, mapping 0x6071 as a PDO will work. However, in order to make it useful, you will need a F/W update from ABB: 5862.0.10 WIP. This will provide a new parameter called Torque Ref Scale in the TorqueControl branch. This will allow you to scale the Motor[x].MaxDac to the maximum torque of the drive.

Thx for the reply.

But i've not been able to get the F/W update 5862.0.10 WIP from anywhere.

I've been trying to get in touch with our local Baldor/ABB persons, even through their Support me site, i am unable to get the required firmware.

If you have it or if you know the source please let me know ASAP.

Thanks again.