OMRON Forums

Saving files in X-Windows

I'm using the video-capable Power PMAC and had logged into the Debian X-Windows client to use the graphical text editor to add a group of IP addresses to the \etc\hosts file. I saved the file and connected through my network without the 20 sec telnet delay. However, when I rebooted the PPMAC the "hosts" file reverted to its earlier state. What do I need to do to save the changes permenantly? Thanks, Scott

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You skipped steps in the previous post. mount -o remount,rw / echo 10.34.9.21 IP_10_34_9_21 >> /.readonly/etc/hosts echo 10.34.9.21 IP_10_34_9_21 >> /etc/hosts mount -o remount,ro / The PowerPMAC mounts its file system as READONLY!!!! Being a controller imagine how often you would end up with disk errors with people powering down the system on a whim. So we mount the root file system as readonly. The /etc folder is mounted as an aufs2 file system. In addition so are /root , /var and /media. aufs2 filesystems is a combination of two folders. The folder /.readonly/etc is a folder on the readonly filesystem (the real disk). In addition, the folder /.readonly/etc-tmpfs-mirror is a folder mounted as a tmpfs which means it resides in memory only. Which means when powering down all of its contents are lost. /etc is the union of the /.readonly/etc and /.readonly/etc-tmpfs-mirror When you write to something in /etc it is mirrored back to /.readonly/etc-tmpfs-mirror (RAM). /.readonly/etc contains the contents that always appear in /etc on boot. If you wish to modify what is saved on disk you need to remove the disk from read only mode with the mount -o remount,rw / command. YOu can then copy the file from /etc you modified to /.readonly/etc. After you are done I suggest you put the disk back to read only with the mount -o remount,ro / command. We use aufs to allow /etc to be writable to make linux happy but non volatile data is readonly in /.readony/etc. You can use gedit if you wish and modify /.readonly/etc/host after making the disk writable. [quote='scott.eichhorn@etrema.com' pid='446' dateline='1276199851'] I'm using the video-capable Power PMAC and had logged into the Debian X-Windows client to use the graphical text editor to add a group of IP addresses to the \etc\hosts file. I saved the file and connected through my network without the 20 sec telnet delay. However, when I rebooted the PPMAC the "hosts" file reverted to its earlier state. What do I need to do to save the changes permenantly? Thanks, Scott [/quote]

I did follow the steps, but only for entering a single entry. Gedit was much quicker for adding a whole range of IP's. Thanks for the insight into the .readonly structure you are using. That solved my problem. I have one additional question on the X-Windows setup. Is there a way to allow ETH0 or ETH1 to connect to the internet through our LAN? I've tried to enable both connections and set static IP's with the X-Windows network dialog box, but the as soon as I close the network window the settings are lost. Thanks again, Scott

See the new thread Configuring ethernet on the PowerPMAC [quote='scott.eichhorn@etrema.com' pid='448' dateline='1276266793'] I did follow the steps, but only for entering a single entry. Gedit was much quicker for adding a whole range of IP's. Thanks for the insight into the .readonly structure you are using. That solved my problem. I have one additional question on the X-Windows setup. Is there a way to allow ETH0 or ETH1 to connect to the internet through our LAN? I've tried to enable both connections and set static IP's with the X-Windows network dialog box, but the as soon as I close the network window the settings are lost. Thanks again, Scott [/quote]