OMRON Forums

DAC change

amitkumar

At present we are using Brick controller with DAC of 18 bit resolution. But our vendor is unable to provide the same at the same price and has offered Brick controller with DAC of 16 bit resolution. Should i go for the second one in place of first one or should I go for the first one investing more money ? How much comprise I might be making if I would buy the 16 bit DAC ?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At present we are using Brick controller with DAC of 18 bit resolution. But our vendor is unable to provide the same at the same price and has offered Brick controller with DAC of 16 bit resolution. Should i go for the second one in place of first one or should I go for the first one investing more money ? How much comprise I might be making if I would buy the 16 bit DAC ?

I would only expect very hi resolution systems (sub-nanometer) to be affected by using the 16-bit DAC instead of the 18-bit.

The Pmac in my system is used to run drives in analog torque mode. Also it has a position loop superceeding it such that the position error is fed to pmac analog input with the pmac housing the speed loop. Is there a way to nullify the affect of decrease in resolution ?

In this case the noise levels of the analog input would far outweigh the "loss" of resolution in the DACs. I would not think that your application would suffer from using the 16-bit DACs.

Thanks for your reply.Would I need to make any changes in i169 or the code within PMAC due to the DAC change ? Would you suggest that we put the 16 bit DAC PMAC in our application before we finalize it ?

• 2 weeks later...

No - you will leave everything as is; it is transparent to the user. It is always a good thing to try it first on a test system if you're not sure about the application "resolutions" but from what you have described I do not see an issue.

Thanky you