OMRON Forums

EtherCAT: PDO data structure not loaded correctly

andyf

For the Beckhoff EL2004 (basic digital output) I have found that the slave pdo data structure is not loaded correctly (see terminal window screen shot, note PDO[0] and PDO[1] are missing). Accordingly, the PDOMappings for those are missing (only PDO[2] and PDO[3] have mappings).

Interestingly, the PDOs are displayed correctly in the System Setup view of the EL2004 Outputs (see System Setup screen shot). Thus, I can still map to high priority (IO[]) or low prioriy (LPIO[]) and toggle the output OK. I can also use the IO[0] in a PLC to toggle the output periodically.

At this stage of Delta Tau's EtherCAT software support, can we expect to see PDO/mapping issues like this to occur when using the auto config? If so, I am assuming we must manually configure the PDO/PDOMappings/SyncManager etc. The downside is that some devices auto-config OK, others do not, so we must manage some of both.

el2004_pdo_online.png.cbbc24a36498a9c666b3851a1515d7aa.png

el2004_pdo_gui.thumb.png.827e66cc3c6a6a983a95bec75151a6cf.png

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, based on the response to my other thread...

http://forums.deltatau.com/showthread.php?tid=1090

...it is clear now that for slave devices that have PDO, PDO Mappings, and Sync Manager info in their firmware, it is not necessary for the PPMAC PDO, PDOMapping, and SyncManager data structures to be setup correctly. The user may simply map the IO[] or LPIO[] directly to the PDO index/subindex of the slave device. In fact, this is what is done when using the System Setup slave device Input/Output screens.

For the Beckhoff EL2004 (basic digital output) I have found that the slave pdo data structure is not loaded correctly (see terminal window screen shot, note PDO[0] and PDO[1] are missing). Accordingly, the PDOMappings for those are missing (only PDO[2] and PDO[3] have mappings).

Interestingly, the PDOs are displayed correctly in the System Setup view of the EL2004 Outputs (see System Setup screen shot). Thus, I can still map to high priority (IO[]) or low prioriy (LPIO[]) and toggle the output OK. I can also use the IO[0] in a PLC to toggle the output periodically.

At this stage of Delta Tau's EtherCAT software support, can we expect to see PDO/mapping issues like this to occur when using the auto config? If so, I am assuming we must manually configure the PDO/PDOMappings/SyncManager etc. The downside is that some devices auto-config OK, others do not, so we must manage some of both.

Hi,

Looking at your screen I don't think you have added the I/O to task. Please see the attached picture. You need to assign the Input or Output to the high priority task from the drop down. Once you do this the ecat structure will be loaded correctly You can see the structure in the output Tab in the bottom and visible in the attachment.

The setup program does it for you and you don't have to add anything manually.

Thanks,

atul

EctaIO.thumb.jpg.5003faeb532dea763c79f4b8ceebe9d2.jpg

To clarify, when I map to a task, the IO[] and LPIO[] are setup correctly, and I can use them in a PLC. That is not an issue for me.

What I was asking is why the PDO, PDOMapping, and SyncManager data structures are not correct. That was answered on the oher thread by hbausley. I now know that:

1) These data structures are not required to be setup correctly if the slave device has the pdo, mappings, and sync manager info in its firmware. The fact that the PPMAC software tries to populate those is just for consistency.

2) The fact that the PPMAC PDO, PDOMapping, and SyncManager data structures are not loaded correctly is just a limitation of the PPMAC software's ability to read the slave device firmware and populate those data structures.

To clarify, when I map to a task, the IO[] and LPIO[] are setup correctly, and I can use them in a PLC. That is not an issue for me.

What I was asking is why the PDO, PDOMapping, and SyncManager data structures are not correct. That was answered on the oher thread by hbausley. I now know that:

1) These data structures are not required to be setup correctly if the slave device has the pdo, mappings, and sync manager info in its firmware. The fact that the PPMAC software tries to populate those is just for consistency.

2) The fact that the PPMAC PDO, PDOMapping, and SyncManager data structures are not loaded correctly is just a limitation of the PPMAC software's ability to read the slave device firmware and populate those data structures.

Hi,

You are correct, at this point we are loading these structures for EtherCAT drives(Amplifier) only. In the future release we will be implementing it for IO.

Atul